Re: DirectX error when trying to install Dragon Age 2

by bagfullofkittens

Original Post

DirectX error when trying to install Dragon Age 2

★★★ Newbie

Dragon Age 2 won't launch  since I started using my new computer, I am told it is a DirectX error but I cannot see how to fix this, should I simply reinstall it using the original disc or is there another way?

Using windows 10, on an I5 6th generation computer with a generic graphics card ( unknown type - it's one of those teeny tiny PCs

This game has worked fine before and I have most of the DLCS so I don't want to uninstall it

Message 1 of 3 (486 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @bagfullofkittens

As a first step, I would suggest reinstalling DirectX. And you can already find the needed file on your PC  Standard smile

Please go to: Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age II\__Installer\directx\redist\dxsetup.exe

Since you're using Windows 10, you can also try to run Origin and the game as admin and use the compatibility mode for older OS.

Let me know how it's going!

/Ataashi

Message 2 of 3 (476 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sorry, none of those worked, attempting to reinstall Direct X just gives me the same error cropping up, and I cannot find how to activate Admin or compatibility , the paths you describe just don't exist, maybe I'm doing it wrong - bear in mind I'm a total newb when it comes to technology. I think I'm already set as Administrator anyway. The problem isn't just with DA2 though, it seems to afflict other games too. SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Message 3 of 3 (467 Views)