Parental control level of TS4 on PS4

by tubelix1

Original Post

Re: Parental control level of TS4 on PS4

★★★ Newbie

I have exactly the same issue. My son is 13 and he bought the game from the Playstation Store based on the information shown there. In my opinion this game is clearly being miss-sold either by EA or by Sony. It's certainly being wrongly advertised as it's not fit for purpose. The box has a big logo on the front which states that the game is PEGI 12 - so that is what it should be. Especially as there is no information anywhere on the pack which states that because in Russia or wherever the game is sold as 18+ this makes the PEGI 12 sticker useless. Other games makers seem to be able to get this right, but not EA.

EA should be forced to put an 18+ PEGI rating on the packaging unless they can be certain the game will run as PEGI 12 in England where it's being sold.  

Sony should make sure the rating systems they are using work AS THEY SHOULD in each country where the game is sold.

I have requested a refund from Sony for this game, so we'll see what happens.

If we don't get a refund, then I'll write to the newspapers and TV with story and this will be the last EA game we will ever buy - especially as they also caught us out on the PVZ Garden Warfare game, which stated it was PEGI 7 on the box but wouldn't run unless the parental controls were set for 13+. 

Message 11 of 17 (1,796 Views)

★ Novice

This has to be one of the most idiotic things, I have ever seen...

I mean, this torpedoes the whole age rating system xD

About as stupid, as the fact that I'm not able to set the age restrictions on net-games (as I can do on local games).

So, as I have made my daughter's PSN sub-account with her real age (11) she cannot play (for example) Fortnite, even with my approval... This, of course, is not EA's fault. But anyway....

Message 12 of 17 (1,686 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This issue is still existing. The when buying the game one case see PEGI-12 but then parental control does not work. Only solution is to take parental control away.

Blaming that Russians on this problem is ridiculous. 

Message 13 of 17 (1,529 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm actually surprised this is not a bigger issue with both Origin and Sony. As has already been stated by others in this thread, changing/disabling the parental controls whenever my kids want to play simply isn't an option. Neither is trying to explain this with Russia having stricter rules than other countries. If the game is not possible to play for persons under the age of 18, it should not be possible to sell to 12 year olds.

Message 14 of 17 (1,390 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello, I have the same problem with family security and Sims4, if I set the age limit at 18, the children can also play my hitman. Please change

Message 15 of 17 (981 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey there @Limoncello_40!

I understand that the topic of PS4 parental control levels can be a frustrating one, especially in a case like yours when games with different age ratings are involved. 

@SimGuruIcarus has shared great information on this topic before so I'll quote his comment below:

@SimGuruIcarus wrote:

Hi @tubelix1

I have to inform you that, sadly, this is a Sony requirement and there is no possible workaround for this.

Parental Control level in PS4 is always set by the most restrictive Age Rating for the title. Sims 4 has a +18 rating in Russia, and I’m afraid this is affecting other less restrictive ratings like PEGI.

This is just how PS4 works. We are currently having communications with Sony about this matter, however, It does not seem that Sony will be addressing this issue anytime soon.

Thanks,

Leeloo

Leeloo.png

Stay and Play.png
Message 16 of 17 (905 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I just bought this game for my family and was very surprised about this. It didn't occur me at all that I would need to google ratings for each individual game before buying to find what is the strictest rating globally! If game is marketed and sold as PEGI12, I should be able to trust that rating and expect everything to work accordingly. Otherwise these ratings have no meaning what so ever - like others have already stated. It should then either be clearly stated that this is indeed PEGI18 game OR the game should work with PEGI12 accounts. It's not a good excuse that Russia has stricter rules and this is for some reason applied globally (isn't the region/country is part of the account information?). EA doesn't seem to care much as this issue seems to be rather old so saying that you work with Sony on this sounds like basic PR jargon meaning that nothing is being done.

Message 17 of 17 (849 Views)