Xbox one x overheats and shuts down due to game being stronger then the hardware

by zchret

Original Post

Battlefront 2 Causing Xbox One X to Shut Down (Yes, this is still a thing)

★★ Novice

Hello EA/DICE/Community Members,

I'm playing Battlefront 2 on an Xbox One X.  Last night,  for the second time in a month and a half, while playing Battlefront 2 on Instant Action (offline), my Xbox One X shut down.

Once again, I received the ventilation/overheat message when I turned it back on.  My system is well ventilated, has plenty of space to breathe, does not have dust clogging the vents, etc.

The only guess I have, as a layman, is that this problem is more likely to occur when there's a lot of activity happening at once on the screen.  For what it is worth, I only play offline.

Also for what it is worth, Battlefront 2 is the only game that has ever caused my Xbox One X to shut down.

EA/DICE: please, please, please analyze this issue again.  A cursory internet search reveals how widespread this problem is.

Thank you.

Message 41 of 52 (2,627 Views)

Re: Battlefront 2 Causing Xbox One X to Shut Down (Yes, this is still a thing)

★★ Novice
@TRheault Hello, EA? Do you have any response or update on this issue? This is clearly a problem for many Xbox One X users, and I would appreciate a response.

And to those who have opened their Xbox One X and replaced the thermal paste and/or performed their own repairs - I admire your resourcefulness. I am unwilling to open my X - voiding the warranty - to "fix" an issue that Battlefront 2 triggers and *no other game* does (not even once).
Message 42 of 52 (2,531 Views)

Re: Xbox one x overheats and shuts down due to game being stronger then the hard

★★ Novice

@EA_Aljo wrote:

Thanks for all the info on this, everyone. I've passed it on to the appropriate teams. When there's some news, I'll post it here. If you guys have any more details to add, please do.

This issue still exists as of June 2020.  Battlefront 2 is the *only* game that causes my Xbox One X to shut down due to "ventilation" issues.

Message 43 of 52 (2,574 Views)

Re: Xbox one x overheats and shuts down due to game being stronger then the hard

★★ Guide

@EA_Aljo @zchret 

Possible Solution:

This IS a very real issue and yes, BF 2 does trigger is more frequently.

The problem is a combination of the Xbox One X design as well as the load that Battlefront 2 puts on the console; especially if you’re utilizing a WiFi connection (although with the current horrible BF 2 server state I wouldn’t recommend it).

I solved this by purchasing a set of metal risers that clip onto the 4 corners of the Xbox One X. This raises the bottom side of the console and reduces heat retention and allows the consoles cooling system to run more efficiently. 

Prior to this BF 2 would overheat my console, now it doesn’t ... Now BF 2 just overheats me with it’s inept gameplay logic. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 44 of 52 (2,546 Views)

★ Guide

Try to go in your microsoft account  to see  if your account   detect any problems   with your xbox one x  to find this look for device section   . my account detect no issue found   with my xbox one x 

Message 45 of 52 (2,507 Views)

★ Guide

This is NOT an overheating issue. This a a graphical fault the game causes with the hardware, and then the Xbox one x incorrectly reports it as an overheat, but it is not an overheat. I have confirmed my Xbox is cool when it happens. 

this a graphical bug/ coding issue with the game that still needs to be resolved. It only happens in certain graphics scenarios, like when grievous’s unrelenting advance is activated. This should have been resolved

when first reported. Its a critical issue since it completly shuts down Xbox one x units. Particularly launch units. 

Message 46 of 52 (2,409 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I agree, this is not a hardware issue. When mine shuts down, it is completely cool. It happens to me occasionally, but certainly enough to be a pain. No other game has ever caused this even when playing for extended periods. I'm on a Scorpio edition. 

Message 47 of 52 (2,266 Views)

★ Novice

Same problem. During gameplay or just in the menus. Downloaded the game today and it's crashed six times in the last 2 hours. Full system crash like overheat protection. What the hell?

Message 48 of 52 (2,110 Views)

Re: Battlefront 2 Causing Xbox One X to Shut Down (Yes, this is still a thing)

★ Novice

Yah they don’t care this issue is a problem 2 years later it is why the studio is starting to lose people with pure customer neglect and literally malicious intent at this point.

Message 49 of 52 (1,274 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Bought the game recently. Was fine for a few weeks then boom 3 times in one day (I have an xbox one s) tried cleaning it the next day crashed 2 more times. and that was the last two days. No other game does this. (i realize Im late by 2 years because I only bought it recently this may). I know about the last update being the last update but is there any fixes for this issue?

Message 50 of 52 (1,058 Views)