EA Launcher doesn´t install in choosen directory

by Rudolf_Fischer

Original Post

Re: EA Desktop app installation location (the client, not the games)

EA SPORTS FC Team

When installing the EA app, there is a button that you can press to customize the installation location. 

You can find it by pressing the CUSTOMIZE SETUP button, which you can find on this screen:

Install Location.png

Jason.png
Message 10 of 189 (15,884 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@贾森 点了那个按钮但还是不能自定义

Google Translate:

Jason, I clicked the button, but I still can’t customize it

EDIT by EA_Jason: Added English translation. 

Message 11 of 189 (5,372 Views)

impossible to change install location on EA Desktop App.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: EA Desktop
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post)
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Download Game
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 11.03.2022 18:20
Summarize your bug Changing the install location will still result in downloading to the C drive, even if the EA app is installed on a different drive.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? try to install anything on a different drive
What happens when the bug occurs? I cant install anything, because my C drive cant hold a full game.
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to tell the game to install on my D drive, and for it to _actually install there_

Everything is getting downloaded to my C: drive, despite having changed both the default install location through the app settings, AND manually selecting the install location.  Using xbox gamepass, I figured it may be using the xbox default install location:  it is not.  that's set to a non-C drive as well.

My C drive does not, and will not, have enough space for games on it.  ever.

Fix your app so we can actually install things on other drives please!  Downloading to C, then unpacking to the desired install drive is not a workable solution, and whoever thought it was, should have a serious look at their job...  Thankfully I didn't pay for any of this garbage.

Message 12 of 189 (4,384 Views)

Re: impossible to change install location on EA Desktop App.

Community Manager
Hey @PanFrie,

Thanks for your report.

This is indeed something that our EA App teams are actively investigating. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a workaround for the issue at the moment.

Please note that due to that the EA App is still in beta (development), it's possible that you'll run into more issues than we all would like.
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 13 of 189 (4,301 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The option in the launcher to customize the installation *only* allows you to change the games installation location, not the location of the client itself. My C drive does not have a lot of space in it, so I don't want to download any game clients to it. My C drive is not my default download location, and it is not listed as my main drive in my computer, so there is no reason the EA client should be installing on my C drive.

Message 14 of 189 (5,009 Views)

@BrennanS117 

No, it allows you to choose the install location of the client.

EAappInstLoc.png

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 15 of 189 (4,991 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I can also only change the location where the games are installed. The EA Desktop app is still installed on C.

Message 16 of 189 (4,967 Views)

@SrNadaHimself 

I could reproduce this behaviour after deleting and reinstalling EA app.

This is strange because it worked just fine only a week ago as I reinstalled EA app, as you can see in my screenshot, because of a CPU/Motherboard change.

I will get in contact with the EA CMs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 17 of 189 (4,946 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

yea came back to have a look at the messed up battlefield what is for free this month..

c drive is locked by our IT's policies so I picked another drive for installing. Im wondering the app is ignoring the policies and is on C. But nothing happens if I want to launch it. Reinstalled picked another drive again and it keeps installing on C..

what a dump piece of * after this "origin" fail 

do the devs test their software before rolling it out??

Message 18 of 189 (4,719 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

at least we do not need to wait for the slow devs. So do not hesitate switching to another awesome game! there will be a new map today .. better check it out Angel

Message 19 of 189 (4,711 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help