Adds English US keyboard to Windows.

by Yaxumo

Original Post

Re: Adds English US keyboard to Windows.

★★★★ Novice

They never fix it.. they really don't care...

Message 31 of 53 (876 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hi guys,

Decided to stop here and tell that the bug still exists. Please fix it.

Kind regards,

Rhaegwynn

Message 32 of 53 (852 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi guys,

We had a minor update couple days ago but the bug hasn't been fixed.

-Rhaegwynn

Message 33 of 53 (833 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi guys,

Season 8 just started and we had a patch. The bug still exists.

-Rhaegwynn

Message 34 of 53 (777 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Maybe we need to pester support until they bother to do anything.

The fix can't be very difficult. I play with both Japanese and English friends so I switch my keyboards in game and randomly having an addiotional thing to switch between is infuriating.
Message 35 of 53 (765 Views)

★ Novice

I had this issue for the longest time, but I seem to have fixed it. On Windows 10, if you go to the Language options, then to Administrative Language Settings, you will see a "Welcome screen and new user accounts". When you click Copy settings, you can see the settings for the current user, system accounts and new user accounts. For me, these options were English US for current user and, for some reason, English UK for everything else. I then copied over the settings so everything is the same and restarted my PC. Played some Apex after that and it did not add on any keyboards, so for now at least it is fixed.

In short:

1.Language

2.Administrative Language Settings

3.Welcome screen and new user accounts
       → click on Copy settings

4.Tick the two boxes at the bottom
       → click on OK

5.Reboot

This may not work for everyone, but it worked for me so I thought I would share.

Message 36 of 53 (732 Views)

★ Guide

Alright, y’all probably not going to like to hear this, but this bug is tied to the engine that runs Apex (Valve’s Source Engine). It has fundamental code that will re-download this layout every single loading on most PCs. This is probably virtually unfixable due to how integral the code causing it is likely critical to engine function.

Some work arounds have been mentioned in this thread. However, since it will always reinstall, it is probably best to simply use the keyboard shortcut to cycle layouts back to your preference instead.

Message 37 of 53 (720 Views)

★ Apprentice

Kamdet and CrazyEyedOldMan I appreciate your work. Seems indeed that this happens due to Source Engine but I remember time when Apex was just released and this bug didn't happen. I intend to keep noise about it until it gets fixed.

Message 38 of 53 (683 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi guys,

Just like some of us I've been having for a quite while a problem with Apex Legends. Everytime I start the game it adds en-US keyboard layout which doesn't appear in the language settings. So in order to get rid of that keyboard layout I've had to first install en-US language to windows and after that remove it.
There has been workarounds posted in Steam forums some time ago but those didn't work for me since I have Windows 10 Home which doesn't have secpol.msc.
Last night I was able to discover a workaround with Windows 10 Home. There are couple things you need to do:

Create a PowerShell script with these lines:

$cb_PSCheckbox.Add_UnChecked({Hide-Console})

$LanguageList = Get-WinUserLanguageList

$LanguageList.Add("en-US")

Set-WinUserLanguageList $LanguageList -Force

$LanguageList = Get-WinUserLanguageList

$LanguageList.Remove(($LanguageList | Where-Object LanguageTag -like 'en-US'))

Set-WinUserLanguageList $LanguageList -Force

Run this script in PowerShell:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Scope LocalMachine

Create a custom task in Task Scheduler:

Trigger: on an event

Log: System

Source: FilterManager

Event ID: 6

Delay task for: 30 seconds

Set an action in Actions page:

Action: start a program

Program/script: powershell.exe

Add arguments (optional): -WindowStyle hidden -file C:\Users\-\Documents\en-US_Delete.ps1

Remember to set the path of your powershell script to arguments.

So what does this script & task do? First of all it adds en-US language to Windows and after that it removes it. The event triggering the script is startup of EasyAntiCheat and the added 30 seconds delay makes sure that adding and removing of en-US layout happens after Apex Legends has started. The execution policy change in PowerShell is needed in order to the script to run.

The only minor issue I'm having with this script is that it jumps to desktop to run the script. I'm looking for ways to make it run in the background. Hope this helps someone else besides me.

And this bug still hasn't been adressed or fixed.

Message 39 of 53 (625 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi guys,

Decided to stop by and check how's it going with the bug. Still there.

Message 40 of 53 (573 Views)