manua

by celorilm

Original Post

manua

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Product: EA Desktop
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post) 91f1ccd1-e967-4d27-a0ee-fbce28dfed1b
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Download Game
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 22.01.22 07:00
Summarize your bug I have tried to install Mass Effect Legenday edition on my Shadow PC from the EA Destop app (as part of my EA Play access, through XBox Game pass ultimate), but ran into a problem:the download required about 110 GB space, but I did not have that much left on my Shadow system disk (C:\). So I ordered additionnal Shadow disk space to try solve the problem. When the order has been processed, I found that I had now two logical Windows disks on my Shadow PC, the system disk, C:\, where EA Desktop was installed, pretty full (less than 100 GB free), and the extended disk, D:\, empty, with 256 GB free space. I selected a folder on D:\ as target of the installation, but something went wrong in that EA Desktop apparently first filled the C:\ disk with temporary files, making my Shadow PC completely unstable (can no longer startup properly).
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The same problem should occur with any Windows 10 system with a system disk pretty full (about 50 GB free), an empty secondary disk, if you try to install Mass Effect Legendary edition through EA Desktop. Update: this problem might be partly specific to virtual machines, such as Shadow PC, as I found out that EA destop had been able to fully (or almost) install about 103 GB of the game on the C:\ drive, which initially was reported to have only 65/70 GB nominally free. My guess would be that the ability to so overflow the disk capacity is linked to a virtual machine issue. It remains though that I had selected the D:\ drive as target, but the installation took place on the C:\ drive.
What happens when the bug occurs? The Windows startup does not complete properly any longer: after the Windows splash screen, only part of the taskbar displays (visible icons not even reacting properly to mouse clicks), the Windows desktop does not display properly (no background image, no icons) and the screen blinks between a black and a blue state. Though I can still launch the Task manager (using the Ctrl+Shift+Esc shortcut), which allows me to run a few command line commands (like running the Disk Cleanup tool, open a Windows Explorer window).
What do you expect to see? I would need a manual procedure to remove the temporary files created during the process, in order to re-stabilize my Shadow system. The few files I could clean up or move to disk D:\ so far (about 10/15 GB), do not seem to be enough...

I could not run the automatic "App recovery" utility, as it requires a restart, which I cannot achieve in the unstable state my Shadow system currently is...

Anyone that could tell me where to look for these temporary files?

Update: I have actually found the installed files on the C:\ drive, in the same location I had requested them to be placed on the D:\ drive...

(The intended full title for this topic was: manual removal of temporary files created during EA Desktop game download)

Message 1 of 1 (170 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help