Re: I'm using Windows 11. The Sims 3 launcher is unresponsive in the EA app.

by kubarhcp

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Hi, I have a similar issue as the ones mentioned in the previous posts. However, none of the solutions has actually worked for me.

The game crashes when I open it using the launcher, without displaying any error. It just returns to the desktop. I bought it today on the EA App. I have a 12th gen Intel Core processor and I'm using Windows 11.

I've already tried:
1. Installing DirectX9 manually, as described in https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/SIMS-3-GAME-WON-T-LAUNCH-WINDOWS-10/m-p/10711778#M2478...
2. Using the AlderLake patch made by LadyDutchess on TS3.exe
3. Limiting the launcher to the 1st CPU in the task manager
4. Using PowerShell, unfortunately the console displays errors, so I don't even think that the code worked.

I attached my dxdiag report below. If anyone of you guys could help me, I would be forever in your debt Frown

Message 1 of 6 (549 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Well, in one way or another, the problem is now fixed.

You know how in the beginning I said I was using LazyDutchess patch? Well, I reverted back to the original file. I unchecked all settings in properties (disable fullscreen optimization, run this program as administrator, etc) and I ran the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I also set my launcher's affinity mode to the 1st CPU in the Task Manager. This time, the game magically opened.

It's pretty odd, I would say, since I tried many combinations of those settings before. Maybe I didn't try reverting to the original file after installing DX9 or the drivers update worked, but I needed to revert back to the original file.

In summary, this is what've done that solved the problem:

• I manually installed DX9;
  • I updated my BIOS, my chipset driver, and both Intel Xe and NVidia drivers;
  • I reverted back to the original file of TS3.exe, before being patched by LadyDutchess' patch. However, I left IntelFix.dll inside the "Bin" folder - not sure if that mattered though;
  • I run the program - TS3.exe - in compability mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3);
  • I set Sims3Launcher.exe's affinity to the 1st GPU.

Thank you very much for your help @puzzlezaddict, hope this thread will help anyone with similar issues.

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (430 Views)

All Replies

@kubarhcp  I've split your post into its own thread since you're not seeing the same issue as is covered in the original thread.  Your dxdiag shows a few errors related to DirectX 9, but you've already manually reinstalled it, so it's time to look elsewhere.  First, please run a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

Next, please uninstall and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "appwiz.cpl" without quotes, then click "Turn Windows features on or off."  .NET 3.5 will be near the top of the list. Click the filled-in box to uninstall it, then restart your computer.  Repeat the process, except check the now-empty box to reinstall .NET 3.5, and restart again.

Just to be thorough, please move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop before trying to play.

If you still can't run the game, please please look for new errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.  Today is on the right.

Look for an error that happened at exactly the time of your most recent attempt to launch Sims 3, specifically after you've done the steps I listed.  If you find one, double-click it to see more details, then copy that info and paste it into a reply here.  If you don't see a new error, check back in an hour or so—the Reliability Monitor doesn't always update right away.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (519 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi puzzlezaddict, thank you very much for replying to my message. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.

"DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" didn't display any error, I attached the message the console gave me below. Same with “sfc /scannow” - no integrity violations (again, please find the screen below in the attachments). I re-installed .NET 3.5 and moved the Sims 3 folder out of Documents.

Since you mentioned that you can see a few errors related to DirectX 9, I also sent you a new dxdiag report, in the case I mistakenly sent you yesterday an old report that was performed before installing DirectX 9.

Here's the "perfmon /rel" problem:

Problem: stopped working

Description

• Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe

Problem signature

• Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  • Application Name: TS3.exe
  • Application Version: 0.2.0.32
  • Application Timestamp: 568d4bac
  • Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll
  • Fault Module Version: 10.0.22621.1635
  • Fault Module Timestamp: 7b4e1a43
  • Exception Code: c0000005
  • Exception Offset: 000c3e99
  • OS Version: 10.0.22621.2.0.0.768.101
  • Locale ID: 1033
  • Additional Information 1: 5c0c
  • Additional Information 2: 5c0c23d75afb1c4e336215c5d9c2d9b0
  • Additional Information 3: 200a
  • Additional Information 4: 200a6d554ac53e1b64c23d5b34700cbd

Extra information about the problem

• Bucket ID: 59acc991441a018cb916875684140405 (1807781106088674309)

Thank you very much for your help!

Message 3 of 6 (502 Views)

@kubarhcp  This crash is also related to DirectX 9: d3d9.dll is the same component listed in the other crashes.  So please manually install DX9 again, even though you did recently.  It's unlikely to be corrupt, but this is also simpler to do than the next suggestions I'd make after the ones below.

Dell offers very new drivers for both the Intel graphics chip and the Nvidia GPU, so please install those, Intel first, then Nvidia, restarting after each one.  You can find the drivers here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/g-series-15-5521-laptop/drivers

Since you're there anyway, Dell offers a new BIOS and a new chipset driver, both dated August 7, so please install those too, in that order and before the new graphics drivers.  Let me know if you have trouble installing any of these, and if not, please try playing again.  If you get another crash, please post the Reliability Monitor info for that crash just as you did here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 6 (454 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I've manually installed DX9 again and updated every single driver you mentioned, in the order you described. I had no trouble installing them. Still, the game crashes at startup Frown

Here's the info from the Reliability Monitor. It seems like it's the same issue:

Description

• Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe

Problem signature

• Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  • Application Name: TS3.exe
  • Application Version: 0.2.0.32
  • Application Timestamp: 568d4bac
  • Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll
  • Fault Module Version: 10.0.22621.1635
  • Fault Module Timestamp: 7b4e1a43
  • Exception Code: c0000005
  • Exception Offset: 000c3e99
  • OS Version: 10.0.22621.2.0.0.768.101
  • Locale ID: 1033
  • Additional Information 1: 5c0c
  • Additional Information 2: 5c0c23d75afb1c4e336215c5d9c2d9b0
  • Additional Information 3: 200a
  • Additional Information 4: 200a6d554ac53e1b64c23d5b34700cbd

Extra information about the problem

• Bucket ID: 59acc991441a018cb916875684140405 (1807781106088674309)
Message 5 of 6 (433 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Well, in one way or another, the problem is now fixed.

You know how in the beginning I said I was using LazyDutchess patch? Well, I reverted back to the original file. I unchecked all settings in properties (disable fullscreen optimization, run this program as administrator, etc) and I ran the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I also set my launcher's affinity mode to the 1st CPU in the Task Manager. This time, the game magically opened.

It's pretty odd, I would say, since I tried many combinations of those settings before. Maybe I didn't try reverting to the original file after installing DX9 or the drivers update worked, but I needed to revert back to the original file.

In summary, this is what've done that solved the problem:

• I manually installed DX9;
  • I updated my BIOS, my chipset driver, and both Intel Xe and NVidia drivers;
  • I reverted back to the original file of TS3.exe, before being patched by LadyDutchess' patch. However, I left IntelFix.dll inside the "Bin" folder - not sure if that mattered though;
  • I run the program - TS3.exe - in compability mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3);
  • I set Sims3Launcher.exe's affinity to the 1st GPU.

Thank you very much for your help @puzzlezaddict, hope this thread will help anyone with similar issues.

Message 6 of 6 (431 Views)