Re: Game Keeps Freezing On New Dell XPS

by juegoconfuego

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

Hi @puzzlezaddict - Thanks for flagging these issues in my dxdiag report and for offering additional suggestions. I subsequently uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers following steps provided by Nvidia, though shortly afterwards, my game froze and I got a blue screen error message that said "machine check exception."

I shared this update with Dell support, who now claims I may have a hardware problem despite initially insisting that there was nothing wrong with my hardware. I shared this same error report with Nvidia, who told me there was probably something wrong with the game itself. After receiving this largely unhelpful and conflicting advice from Dell and Nvdia, I took your suggestion of changing the fps to 60, as 59 didn't work. Fingers crossed, but so far this seems to be working.

If it turns out that a combination of software updates, a clean uninstall/reinstall of graphics drivers and and fps switched to 60 did the trick, then hopefully that's the case. Assuming I don't continue to have any problems, would you recommend attempting to play in a purchased town -- like Lucky Plans or Hidden Springs -- or stick with towns that come with expansion packs for now?

Thanks for all your help!

Message 11 of 13 (269 Views)

@juegoconfuego  A machine check exception can definitely be serious and hardware-related, so I'd keep a close eye on things.  But that error also means that Windows didn't have enough info to generate a more specific error, so it's difficult to know for sure what might be wrong.  And this is definitely the type of issue to address before your warranty runs out.

As far as Sims 3, there's no reason not to play in a store world.  The game should run equally fine in those as in most expansion worlds, with the store worlds being more stable than Bridgeport or especially Isla Paradiso.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 13 (264 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi @puzzlezaddict - So far the game hasn't frozen since that blue screen error message and my subsequent switch to 60 fps. Famous last words, but hopefully it stays that way. If not, I'll be mindful of that error message. Thanks again for all of your help. 

Message 13 of 13 (249 Views)