Re: Issue with EA app and Steam?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Issue with EA app and Steam?

★ Novice

Hello,

So I've been having an issue lately. But, a bit of background; I don't play Sims4 all that much but I've been wanting to get back into it.

A while ago, I purchased Sims4 from Steam. Also purchased a few Expansions and Stuffs packs from Steam. 

Recently I purchased packs via the EA App because of the sweet sales and bundle thing.

NOTE: I don't care about my saves, I was going to restart my save file anyway. Also, I just want to play the game, if I need to set my account to use EA purchases exclusively I would, if I knew how lol.

Now:

When I try to launch Sims4; either from Steam (which just launches the EA app anyway) or just the EA app, it keeps saying it's trying to download/install a pack (one or more).

My assumption is the EA app is trying to download and install packs from Steam?

Here is what I have tried:

1:

Uninstalling Sims4 via Steam AND the EA app.

Reboot PC

Re-install with only the EA app. 

Stuck installing a pack.

2:

Uninstalling Sims4 via Steam AND the EA app.

Reboot PC

Install Sims4 via Steam

Launch Sims4

EA App opened, wanted to install additional content (addons)

Stuck installing a pack.

I was able to install only the Sims4 Base one time but in the main menu it said I had packs ready to download and needed to restart the game. When I did that, the EA app got stuck again on trying to download some pack again.

Message 1 of 3 (219 Views)

Accepted Solution

@ZomBAlbus  Please go to ea.com, sign in, open Account Settings > Order History, and find the purchase of the pack that's stuck installing.  Let me know the status of the order: Completed, Processing, or Failed.

Please also list the pack in question here, for reference.

As for your overall setup, you'll need to install the game from Steam and download the EA App-owned packs (but not a second copy of the base game) through the App.  I realize this is a problem at the moment; I'm only saying that once the issue with this particular pack is resolved, this is the setup that will allow you to use all your content.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (198 Views)

All Replies

@ZomBAlbus  Please go to ea.com, sign in, open Account Settings > Order History, and find the purchase of the pack that's stuck installing.  Let me know the status of the order: Completed, Processing, or Failed.

Please also list the pack in question here, for reference.

As for your overall setup, you'll need to install the game from Steam and download the EA App-owned packs (but not a second copy of the base game) through the App.  I realize this is a problem at the moment; I'm only saying that once the issue with this particular pack is resolved, this is the setup that will allow you to use all your content.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (199 Views)

★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict , Sorry it's been a few days. But I seem to have fixed it with your help!

I took screenshots of my purchases from EA and all packs saying "Fulfilled". With the entire purchase saying "Completed". (I did the bundle thing; Expansion, Pack and Stuff bundle... two times :D; Attached)

The second part you said, about downloading the game via Steam, THEN downloading the Expansions, Packs and Stuffs with EA app without downloading the base game worked!

The pack I got stuck on was “The Backyard Stuff Pack”, but for the life of me I can't find the purchase for it. It was free, so it might have been through EA? I'm just guessing because Steam tracks free purchases.

In case anyone else has this issue here are my exact steps:

Note: I'm on Windows

1. Uninstall all of Sims 4
    1. I Uninstalled via Steam first
    2. Checked Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
      1. Found Sims 4, Uninstalled (Guessing, EA install?)
  2. Reboot PC
  3. Install Sims 4 via Steam
  4. Made coffee and waited (IRL, optional)
  5. Launched Sims 4 via Steam
    1. This opens/launches the EA app but it doesn't stay up, only as a background process. Basically, acting normally.
  6. Exit Sims 4
  7. Open EA app. I have the EA app installed as a stand-alone program.
    1. Not sure if this is necessary or not.
  8. Sims 4 is currently listed in my Installed Games, Click on Sims 4 
  9. On Sims 4’s Installed Games page (EA app), click “Manage” > Manage Addons.
  10. Now, from here I take careful note of what addons have the Steam icon.
    1. Next to the addons NOT with the Steam icon I have a download button.
  11. Download all Non-Steam icon Addons.
    1. Literally none of the Steam Addon content have a download button but I figured I should reiterate it.
  12. Once all Non-Steam addons are downloaded I exited the EA App (Right Clicked the system tray icon > Exit).
  13. Launched Sims 4 via Steam.
    1. Opened.
  14. Rebooted PC
  15. Launched Sims 4 via Steam
    1. Opened.
  16. Finished Coffee (IRL, optional)

I’ve been able to launch and play Sims 4 for the past 2-ish days without issue. I’ve also installed mods like MCCC and Better BuildBuy (Keep in mind; no mods previously installed) without issue.

@puzzlezaddict, I can't thank you enough for the help and getting me to think about the correct method to download/install everything. You saved my weekend!

Much Love! <3Heart

-Z

Message 3 of 3 (142 Views)