Re: I have a Radeon rx 7600 and the game doesn’t recognize graphics card

by JillyKait

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I have a Radeon rx 7600 and the game doesn’t recognize graphics card

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I just upgraded to a Radeon rx 7600 xt and it says it doesn’t recognize the video card and it runs extremely slow worse then my old card. I had to upgrade cause the old one broke so I can’t go back to it. I’ve tried using a config override file and that still didn’t work. 

Message 1 of 6 (128 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@JillyKait  The problem here is obvious: your computer doesn't have a proper graphics driver installed.  The Config file shows that Sims 4 is using the Microsoft basic driver:

=== Graphics device info ===

Number: 0
Name (driver): Microsoft Basic Render Driver
Name (database): Microsoft Basic Render Driver [Found: 1, Supported: 0]

And the dxdiag doesn't list a driver at all.  So the fix will hopefully be as simple as reinstalling the proper driver.

If you're not absolutely sure you have an AMD graphics card, please double-check, by opening the case and looking at the GPU: it should say AMD and likely the model on it somewhere.  (You may be sure, but I deal with plenty of people who don't know what hardware they have, so I want to mention it.)  If you do have an AMD GPU, this is the driver you'll need:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-7600-series/amd-rade...

Run the installer as an admin: right-click the download and select "Run as administrator."  Restart your computer after installing and before trying to play.

Once you've launched Sims 4 again, the Config file should update with the GPU and driver information, so you can check the Graphics Device Info section (about 30 lines down) to see whether your card and driver are being used.  Let me know if they're not, or if the driver doesn't install properly.

You may still get an unrecognized graphics card error, but you can ignore this as long as the game runs properly and looks good.  You can also adjust your graphics settings to whatever you want; the 7600 XT is more than capable of handling ultra settings.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (70 Views)

All Replies

@JillyKait  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also attach the Config.log file, in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4.  Feel free to delete your user and computer names, about 40 lines down; the file doesn't contain any other personal information.

Message 2 of 6 (121 Views)

★★ Novice

Here's the dxdiag file and config file

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 3 of 6 (106 Views)

★★ Novice
@JillyKait I also got a corsair vengeance DDR4 16gb 3200MHz that i will be installing when it gets here today
Message 4 of 6 (105 Views)

[ Edited ]

@JillyKait  The problem here is obvious: your computer doesn't have a proper graphics driver installed.  The Config file shows that Sims 4 is using the Microsoft basic driver:

=== Graphics device info ===

Number: 0
Name (driver): Microsoft Basic Render Driver
Name (database): Microsoft Basic Render Driver [Found: 1, Supported: 0]

And the dxdiag doesn't list a driver at all.  So the fix will hopefully be as simple as reinstalling the proper driver.

If you're not absolutely sure you have an AMD graphics card, please double-check, by opening the case and looking at the GPU: it should say AMD and likely the model on it somewhere.  (You may be sure, but I deal with plenty of people who don't know what hardware they have, so I want to mention it.)  If you do have an AMD GPU, this is the driver you'll need:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-7600-series/amd-rade...

Run the installer as an admin: right-click the download and select "Run as administrator."  Restart your computer after installing and before trying to play.

Once you've launched Sims 4 again, the Config file should update with the GPU and driver information, so you can check the Graphics Device Info section (about 30 lines down) to see whether your card and driver are being used.  Let me know if they're not, or if the driver doesn't install properly.

You may still get an unrecognized graphics card error, but you can ignore this as long as the game runs properly and looks good.  You can also adjust your graphics settings to whatever you want; the 7600 XT is more than capable of handling ultra settings.

Message 5 of 6 (71 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay thanks, this was my first time replacing a part in my PC I didn’t know I needed to install a driver for it thanks for helping me

Message 6 of 6 (59 Views)