Re: Unknown error occured on Mac

by Hjommd

Original Post

Unknown error occured on Mac

★ Newbie

I uninstalled my Sims 3 a couple weeks ago and reinstalled it, ever since I can't open the lanch all I get is the message unkown error occured. It's really starting to upset me. I need to update the game before I play I know that but I can't even open the damn thing. 

Message 1 of 3 (198 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Skyundersea wrote:

I uninstalled my Sims 3 a couple weeks ago and reinstalled it, ever since I can't open the lanch all I get is the message unkown error occured. It's really starting to upset me. I need to update the game before I play I know that but I can't even open the damn thing. 

Hi

When you uninstalled the game a few weeks ago did you use the clean uninstall method? Also did you manage to patch the base game? Sometimes when you uninstall the game there are leftover files and these can cause conflict with newer installations. See the link below for further information and instructions.

http://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

You may also need to purge your RAM during the launch process - the launcher chews through memory at an astonishing rate and if you don't purge it frequently it can crash.

http://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

Good luck!

Caspin

Message 2 of 3 (196 Views)

★ Novice

To avoid getting this error after you have installed the game, I have found that it is seems to be very import to uninstall the game with the official uninstaller and i no other way, otherwise you ge files left in your system that can cause problems when you reinstall.

You will find the Uninstaller in the folder named the Sims 3 in the folder containing your programs/apps. What you will find there is an alias, a shortcut icon, and that will not always work, you can get an error message that says that the program can't be opened the installer since it is damaged. If it does work, however, everything is fine and dandy, just uninstall and reinstall.

You can then bypass the short cut icon by control-clicking on it and selecting "show original" (my mac doesn't "speak" english so I'm not sure exactly what it says on a english speaking mac). You will then get to the original uninstaller which is in this folder location:

The Sims3/Contents/Resources/AddOns

When you find the uninstaller you should not open it directly, because chances are that you will get another error message that says the uninstaller can't be opened since it is already running, and you will get this message even if you restart the computer and try again... Then you could try to controll-click and use the "show content" option and you will the find a folder named Content and in that several folders among which you should select the one named MacOS, in that there are sorting called tgUninstaller. Open that. It will the open the Terminal (the text command screen) and the uninstller at the same time. Ignore the Terminal and use the installer to uninstall.

In order for this metod to work it is best that you directly open the thunisntaller, and don't start by trying to open the uninstaller by clicking on the shortcut icon or or the original icon first, because then you can get the situation described above when the game will claim the installer is"already running".

This has helped med to uninstall TS3 with the Uninstaller, even when my system have claimed that the  uninstaller is broken. Then I have reinstalled the game and it has worked. I hope that this can help somebody. 

Message 3 of 3 (190 Views)