How do I install sims 3 expansions from a disc onto base game bought from Steam?

by LyraMadeline

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How do I install sims 3 expansions from a disc onto base game bought from Steam?

★ Novice

So, I already own the Sims 3. I bought it - it included Seasons, Pets, and Generations already with the base game - from the Steam store. I just bought a disc version of Ambitions and I'm not sure how to install it onto my computer. When I put the disc in, it tells me I must own the Sims 3 first even though I already do. Help!

Message 1 of 5 (4,362 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: How do I install sims 3 expansions from a disc onto base game bought from St

@LyraMadeline  Steam won't accept disc-installed packs no matter what you do.  If you want to use all the packs you own, you'll need to use Origin instead.  Within Steam, you can find your CD keys: a 20-character code for the base game and each pack you own; these can be registered in Origin.  Your Ambitions disc can be registered too, using the code printed on the back of the insert that came inside the CD case.

Once your packs are all added to your Origin library, you'll need to uninstall the Steam version of the game and clean your computer's registry, either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.  Then login to Origin, download the base game, and make sure it works.  If it does, you can install your packs.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (4,347 Views)

All Replies

Re: How do I install sims 3 expansions from a disc onto base game bought from St

@LyraMadeline  Steam won't accept disc-installed packs no matter what you do.  If you want to use all the packs you own, you'll need to use Origin instead.  Within Steam, you can find your CD keys: a 20-character code for the base game and each pack you own; these can be registered in Origin.  Your Ambitions disc can be registered too, using the code printed on the back of the insert that came inside the CD case.

Once your packs are all added to your Origin library, you'll need to uninstall the Steam version of the game and clean your computer's registry, either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.  Then login to Origin, download the base game, and make sure it works.  If it does, you can install your packs.

Message 2 of 5 (4,348 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Does doing that save the progress I already have on the sims 3? When I get the codes for Origin from Steam, will my progress and saved games carry over from one to the other?
Message 3 of 5 (4,293 Views)

@LyraMadeline  Your saves are stored locally on your computer, along with all the content you've created or downloaded into your game.  Specifically, saves, mods and cc, saved sims and lots, etc. are all inside the Sims 3 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts.  This content transfers between different types of installs, with the exception of any store content you've installed.  (You'd need to redownload it, but that would be free.)  Be sure to back up this folder before you uninstall anything, as it might get deleted during the uninstall process.

The best practice is to set aside that Sims 3 folder (move it out of Documents\Electronic Arts), uninstall and reinstall, and launch the game once to make sure it's working.  Then you can transfer the data you want to keep from your old folder to your new one.  Here's a list of everything you'll find in the Sims 3 folder:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Message 4 of 5 (4,277 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thanks for your help! It was be tu useful
Message 5 of 5 (4,265 Views)