Re: Help[Mac]

by caspinwall

Original Post

Help[Mac]

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I recently downloaded the NRaas mod for my Sims game. When one of my Sims aged up, I decided to use the master controller and go throught the stylist to edit the colthing and  hair that changed. When I did that, it took me to the usual CAS loading screen, but never stopped. I was fresaking out because my computer is usually really fast and it wasn't loading, ans I thought I wouldn't be able to get out of, but I got out. Still I made it out of the game but it was still the same every time I checked back, and I was not able to quit or shut down my computer because the Sims was still open. Then one day I was on the internet and something came up saying there was a problem and my computer was to be restarted. Upset at the time, I soon realized that it quit my Sims so I could play it again. It took me back to the last time I saved which was kind of way before the birthday, but by the time I got to that point, I tried to use the master controller again but going through the CAS option instead of the stylist. Now I am once again stuck in the load ing screen and have no way out of it. I am very mad I made the same mistake again and hope you have a way to fix it. I have the newest MacBook Pro, and I am playing The Sims through Origin (which I did try to delete and reinstall) if that helps figure out the problem. Thank you, I appreciate your time reading all this, and I really hope someone can help.

Message 1 of 2 (99 Views)

Re: Help[Mac]

Champion (Retired)

Hi

It's difficult to know whether the problem is being caused by using the mod or by something else - entering CAS can often cause problems even with no mods/CC installed. Try saving before doing anything risk, including entering CAS. Also purge your RAM manually (memory usage skyrockets when using CAS). Finally, go into windowed mode so that if something freezes you can force-quit the game. See tips below for more details and links.

Caspin

Tips for Mac simmers

Unfortunately a lot of TS3 players encounter problems when playing the game on their Mac. These can include crashing and freezing. A lot of these issues can be avoided or at least improved by the following measures.

Firstly, manually reset your RAM while playing. See BluebellFlora's guide on how to do this: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

I restart my computer before I play TS3. Close down other things that are running in the background. The memory used as seen in Activity Monitor is at about 3GB after the restart. If I open the Launcher it goes up to around 11 GB (that's all I've done - just opened the Launcher!). At this point I reset the RAM. Then I hit play and get through the opening sequence. I then press cmd-return to put the game in windowed mode from time to time while playing (and always before saving or using CAS). That way I can keep an eye on the memory and reset RAM if necessary. Being in windowed mode also allows you to close the game using force quit if it freezes up - it's better to crash the game than your whole computer.

Second tip is to save frequently. I save at least once per sim day. Use the option to Save or Save As, rather than the combined Save and Quit.

Make sure you are patched up to date. The 1.63 patch included fixes for Mac simmers that did actually improve the stability of the game on our operating systems, so it is well worth updating to at least that level. The current patch is 1.67.

The game runs better if you switch off the memories system and disable the in-game Store and social features.

For general advice, information and tips on how to play TS3 on a Mac, read BluebellFlora's guide here: http://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac/

Message 2 of 2 (92 Views)