Re: Downloading expansion packs from Origin

by caspinwall

Original Post

Downloading expansion packs from Origin

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

My expansion packs, World Adventures and Late Night, will not download into my game! Both are in the My Games section and origin. They say "Play" next to them but do not work and do not show up in the Sims 3 game when I play. How do I fix this? I'm really sad...both those games were expensive and I want to play them!

Message 1 of 6 (3,123 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Do you have a mac or a pc?  I am trying to install Late Night and High-End Loft (from the starter pack) and it won't recognize that I have Sims 3 downloaded. 

Message 2 of 6 (3,119 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a mac book air. it tells me "unknown error" for late night and "do you wish to debug" for world adventures. I JUST WANT TO PLAYYYY

Message 3 of 6 (3,111 Views)

★★★ Newbie

And now the whole game won't work. WHAT THE HELL EA.

Message 4 of 6 (3,105 Views)

Hero (Retired)

i'm not a mac palyer but i'll post this in the helpers corner for our mac pa;yer/helper to see and assist

Message 5 of 6 (3,099 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi kaligrace90,

Problem 1 - the missing expansions

When you open your Launcher, do you see the small icons for World Adventures and Late Night at the bottom of the Launcher to be coloured-in or still greyed-out? It sounds as though your download and/or installation from Origin has failed, which unfortunately does happen quite frequently.

Sometimes the download or installation fails. This can be for a variety of factors, including your internet connection dropping out during the download. Sometimes this can result in an awkward situation in which Origin acts as though the game is installed correctly. This means you can’t play the game, but nor will Origin let you re-download it. You cannot easily “uninstall” the game, because of course it isn’t there.

There are two things you can try that are fairly quick to do:

1.Go into Applications on your Mac's hard drive and look in the folder called “The Sims 3”. This is the location from which your game actually launches (as opposed to a similarly named folder within Documents, which is where your saves and other data are stored). In the folder in Applications you will see the shortcut icons for the base game as well as any expansions or stuff packs installed. If you can see the icon for the game that has failed to properly download from Origin, try right clicking on it and this should give you the option to show the original file. You can move the original files to the trash from there. This may allow you to commence a re-download from Origin. (Many thanks go to Tremayne from TS3 Mac forum for this suggestion.)

or 2. Look in Preferences in the Origin client and find the game installers. Delete the files relating to TS3. Log out of the client, then back in, then you may be able to start redownloading.

If this does not work, or if the icon is missing from the “The Sims 3” folder in Applications, then you may need to completely uninstall and reinstall. If you need to do this, let me know and I can post detailed instructions to give you the best chance of success.

Problem 2 - debugging error

The "debugging" error is also quite common for Mac simmers and may not be related to the above problem. Instead it may be that you are running out of memory for the game to use (it is memory-hungry).  A lot of these Mac-specific problems can be avoided or at least improved by manually reseting your RAM while playing. See BluebellFlora's guide on how to do this: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

I restart my computer before I play TS3. The memory used as seen in Activity Monitor is at about 3GB after the restart. If I open the Launcher it goes up to around 11 GB (that's all I've done - just opened the Launcher!). At this point I reset the RAM. Then I hit play and get through the opening sequence. I then press cmd-return to put the game in windowed mode from time to time while playing (and always before saving or using CAS). That way I can keep an eye on the memory and reset RAM if necessary. Being in windowed mode also allows you to close the game using force quit if it freezes up - it's better to crash the game than your whole computer.

Caspin

Message 6 of 6 (3,097 Views)