Re: Constant freezing on macbook.

by gaa17

Original Post

Constant freezing on macbook.

★★★ Newbie

I have a brand new macbook with 400GB hard drive space left. The Sims does nothing but crash on this macbook and my previous macbook. Is anything being done about this? I see people posting about it all of the time. It's extremely unfortunate since I've spent hundreds of dollars on expansion packs, only to find my game crashing every half hour without saving. Just doesn't seem right to create and sell a game that doesn't work correctly on Apple computers. 

Message 1 of 2 (121 Views)

Re: Constant freezing on macbook.

★★★★ Pro

There's nothing you can do to permanently "fix" this.  Also, it doesn't really matter what your specs are because all Macs are read as Windows XP systems with 2gb of RAM. 

I'm not sure how much troubleshooting you've already tried, but here's some advice:

If you actually want to "play" the game as it's supposed to work, then get a PC or Bootcamp & Windows for your Mac. The game is not natively written for our systems (I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro). As long as EA uses Cider, a "wrapper" for the game that enables Macs to play Windows games, it's going to crash with memory issues.

Do not follow EA game advisors' advice without taking into account that many times their advice is wrong for Mac users and can harm our systems. If EA's customer support tells you to open Activity Monitor and quit processes - DO NOT DO IT. Your Mac will freeze resulting in you needing to power it off using the Power button which can be harmful. This is the first "solution" they tell all Mac users to do. Just use common sense when it comes to their "advice."

Here are two good posts from the Sims 3 Mac forum that have a couple of useful "band-aids" to get the game to work temporarily:
-- http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/658546.page
-- http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/611723.page

Best of luck in your battle to play the Sims 3.

Message 2 of 2 (108 Views)