Can I move my pre-owned Sims 3 expansion packs from my laptop to my PC?

by BlazinVoid

Original Post

Can I move my pre-owned Sims 3 expansion packs from my laptop to my PC?

★★ Novice

So I had bought some Sims 3 expansion packs (as pictured Generations, Seasons, Supernatural, World Adventures, Town Life, and Dragon Valley) physically through a second hand store a long time ago and played them on my laptop (which had a disc drive) with no problem. However now that I'm moving over to a PC that doesn't have a disc drive, I kinda found myself in a bit of an issue while installing the Sims 3 and the expansion packs (that are registered to Origin) on my new PC. 

Seeing as they were pre-owned I couldn't redeem the codes via Origin so just downloading them from there is outta the question, and my PC has no disc drive so I can't use the discs. Is there potentially some sorta way to move the expansion packs from my laptop to my PC? If not, I understand. 

Message 1 of 2 (370 Views)

Re: Can I move my pre-owned Sims 3 expansion packs from my laptop to my PC?

@BlazinVoid  There's no way to directly move the installed packs from one computer to the other.  What you could try is using an external disc drive to install the packs  If your newest pack by release date is installed directly through Origin, you might not need to play with a disc present, so you could borrow the drive from a friend and give it back after installing.  However, there's no guarantee that Origin would recognize the packs installed this way.

At least for Dragon Valley, check whether you can download it from the Sims 3 Store site.  I don't think it was ever possible to install the world via disc without also registering it, so it may still be on your account.

By the way, Origin is having a 50% off sale right now (through Tuesday morning) for all Sims 3 expansions, in case you can't install your missing packs and you'd really like to get some of them back.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (358 Views)