Betreff: Spore downloaded through Origin gives error 8016 and won't start

by lordrybec

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Spore downloaded through Origin gives error 8016 and won't start

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

The error message:

A required security module cannot be activated.

This program cannot be executed (8016).

I ran Disk Cleanup, as suggested by someone in the forums.  I did not install any patches (also suggested), because this error occurs before the program finishes launching, and according to the patch pages, patches install directly after the game launches.  I cannot find offline patch installers, so I cannot install the patches manually.

EDIT: Oh, thought I should mention: Windows 10

(Love how this box allows nice text formatting, but then complains and removes it when you try to submit.)

Message 1 of 5 (5,059 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hi @lordrybec,

Check out in this post, I shared a ton of new links to the specific topic

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Spore/8016-error-code-SPORE/m-p/4930059#U4930059

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Meine Sims 4 Geschichten und Kreationen 

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (5,933 Views)

All Replies

Hi @lordrybec,

The problem Windows 10 blocks games with older "Securom" version, here's a guide how to fixed.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Spore/a-required-security-module-cannot-be-activated-message-when/td-p/5355...

Patches you get only during the installation of the game.

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Message 2 of 5 (5,032 Views)

★★★ Novice

I already tried that, but I did it again, just to make sure.  It does not work.  Those instructions were clearly not written for Windows 10, so it is not surprising.

According to MS, SecuROM is blocked entirely in Windows 10.  It is not about the version.  It is about the fact that SecuROM requires a driver that MS refuses to sign, due to severe security vulnerabilities.  (I did my research before coming here for help.)

All of this said, I am not using the CD version of the game, so this should not even apply.  I used the Origin downloader to install the digital version, which other people have had work fine in Windows 10.

Message 3 of 5 (5,026 Views)

Hi @lordrybec,

Check out in this post, I shared a ton of new links to the specific topic

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Spore/8016-error-code-SPORE/m-p/4930059#U4930059

❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Message 4 of 5 (5,934 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks.  I do have a SkyLake processor, so this seems much more promising.  I'll continue any discussion in that thread, if it is needed.

Message 5 of 5 (5,005 Views)