New Computer, EA App not recognizing Graphics Card

by SApple315

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New Computer, EA App not recognizing Graphics Card

★★ Novice

Hey hey,

So I purchased a new laptop, HP Victus, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2050. Everything says that it should work for the sims 4 however after downloading every time I try to open it, it says graphics card isn't good enough or needs the drivers updated.

So, I did my due diligence and updated the drivers as well as scoured the internet. I've also opened the Nvidia Control and made sure to set global and the sims program to Nvidia. I also changed all the spots on the computer I could find to the Nvidia graphics.

On top of that, I also looked into the whole config file and graphics file and found my ID number but when I went into the graphics file and searched for my graphics card it didn't show up. However everything says that the 2050 should be good enough for the Sims 4. Also in the config it says   [Found: 0, Supported: 1] so I'm not sure why it's having this problem.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 13 (314 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: New Computer, EA App not recognizing Graphics Card

@SApple315  You could probably run one monitor off the DisplayLink hub and the other through the computer's HDMI port, again as long as the monitor running the game is using the HDMI port.  But yes, I think keeping both connected to the hub is not going to work here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 12 of 13 (151 Views)

All Replies

@SApple315  The RTX 2050 is definitely good enough for Sims 4.  And having an unrecognized GPU isn't an issue—the game simply doesn't know what graphics profile to apply by default.

However, you should only be seeing this message once, or once after deleting Options.ini if you've done that.  The fact that you're seeing it over and over suggests another issue, either with your antivirus or with OneDrive.  If you'd like help clearing this up, please let me know what antivirus you use and whether OneDrive is running on this computer, even if you never use it.

Message 2 of 13 (290 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey thanks so much for responding, I haven't deleted that file you mentioned however when it comes to antivirus I believe MacAfee is on here (I just got this computer yesterday so still learning it) and then OneDrive is installed and I kinda wish it wasn't and seems to be controlling everything.

Message 3 of 13 (288 Views)

@SApple315  Here's how to get rid of OneDrive, which I highly recommend for anyone that doesn't have a specific need for it:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-4-saves-user-content-disappearing-PC/m-p/12475370#Re...

Once you've done that, see whether you still get the error (again, more than once), if so, set exceptions in McAfee for TS4_x64.exe and EADesktop.exe.

Message 4 of 13 (281 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay, so did both and unfortunately still happening. I did restart as well, but still no go.

Message 5 of 13 (274 Views)

@SApple315  Please confirm that your Documents directory (not just a folder, but the Windows-designated directory) is no longer in OneDrive.  Search in Windows for command prompt, open it, and enter this command, starting with reg query:

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Personal"

The location should be C:\Users\your username\Documents ; let me know if it's anything else.

If you see the correct location, please delete the Options.ini file in the Sims 4 user folder and launch the game again, twice.

If that doesn't help, try temporarily disabling McAfee just to make sure it's not the issue.  As long as you don't do anything else at the same time, your computer should be safe, and you only need to have it disabled for a few minutes.

Message 6 of 13 (243 Views)

★★ Novice

File path looks good. Tried twice no go. turned off all the scans for mcafee and still no go. Thanks for helping with this btw!

Message 7 of 13 (232 Views)

@SApple315  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also post a screenshot of the error, or write out its full text, just in case I'm missing something here.

Message 8 of 13 (202 Views)

★★ Novice

Here are the two files Standard smile

Message 9 of 13 (186 Views)

@SApple315  I think the problem here is the DisplayLink USB device you're using.  Sims 4 doesn't support it, and this device is the GPU driving your monitor, as your dxdiag sees it (and probably the game too).  So try disconnecting the device and plugging the monitor directly into the laptop.  I believe both support HDMI; you can borrow a cable from a friend if you want to run a quick test without spending money on your own.

By the way, do you have one or two monitors connected?  The dxdiag lists two identical models, and maybe you bought two of them, but I want to make sure it's not a reporting error.  If you do have two monitors and don't want to unplug one while gaming, you could use the DisplayLink device for only the secondary monitor, as in, not the one Sims 4 is using.  The GPU connected to the monitor is the one rendering whatever that monitor is displaying.

Message 10 of 13 (155 Views)