[CURRENT ISSUE] Sims 4 saves/user content disappearing (PC)

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Re: saves and custom content not showing up in The Sims 4

@pwalshwaring  The next step here is to make sure Sims 4 is currently reading the correct folder:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2018/07/how-to-find-your-user-folder/

The game should follow the Windows setting, but it's always best to check before making that assumption.

If Sims 4 is reading the correct folder, you can put your saves and anything else you want to keep into that folder and pick up where you left off.  You actually don't need to delete any of the other folders—the game won't get confused by their presence, and neither will Windows.  I have a number of user folders on my computer, some inside Documents, some on the desktop, some that I put somewhere that I'm probably forgetting.  It doesn't matter; there's only one location that Sims 4 reads, and only one folder in that location, so nothing ever gets confused.  But if you'd like to do some cleanup, of course go right ahead.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 61 of 290 (1,433 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict Hi so I checked which folder the game is reading, and in my users folder theres two, pheeb, and public and its reading from users\public\documents\electronic arts\the sims 4\saves . But the one i was aiming for is in pheeb. Does it matter too much if it is reading from the users\public one if i am the only user of this computer.
And also in case it is important, the file path that it says in game for my test save is the one i wrote above, but in file explorer it goes users>public>public documents>electronic arts> the sims 4 , so in terms of names, there isnt actually a 'Documents' folder in the public one, but in the game thats what it is reading.
To be honest, I am fine moving my saves and cc into the public folder that the game is reading from if it doesnt make any difference to the game working, i just want to make sure it wont cause any problems down the road.
Thanks so much for all of your help and advice, I know ive asked a lot of questions but you have been so helpful to me so thank you !
Message 62 of 290 (1,428 Views)

@pwalshwaring  Sorry for the late reply.  No, it doesn't matter to the game itself if it keeps reading the Public folder going forward.  As long as your content is all showing up, and OneDrive can't sync the files (which it can't if they're in Public), you should be fine.

I would definitely suggest keeping a backup copy of the Sims 4 user folder just in case though.  Not that this particular setup is problematic, but you never know when a computer problem might surface and delete some of your data.  And you never know when a Sims 4 bug might bork your saves for that matter.  As an example, I periodically back up entire user folders (more for Sims 3 than 4) and put them on an external drive, then I delete the oldest when I know I won't need them.  But if you don't have an external drive or USB stick, you could zip the folder and upload it to Google Drive or another free filesharing service.

And you're welcome.  I'm glad we were able to work though this and get your game and your content working again.

Message 63 of 290 (1,387 Views)

Electronic arts file deleted off one drive and wont sync properly

★★★ Newbie

I have been having issues with my deleted mods reappearing in one drive and it’s been slowing down my game. I took a look at different threads and they all told me to stop syncing my files to one drive so that my deleted files stop re-syncing into my mods folder. When I did this it wiped out my entire electronic arts folder along with the mods and now my game has been reset. I tried to recover the electronic arts folder from my recycling bin but now it shows up as a zip file. I tried relaunching sims so It can create a new electronic arts folder which worked but now it shows a red x by the file and it won’t let me put my mods and saved data in there. How do I fix this???? 

I have another electronic arts file in my OneDrive online which might be causing the issue, but now I don't know how to properly recover the electronic arts folder and all my mods in it without it messing with my computer.

Message 64 of 290 (1,312 Views)

Re: Electronic arts file deleted off one drive and wont sync properly

@BvbyCella  I've merged your post with the master thread for this issue.  Please see the first post on page one.

The first question to ask yourself is whether you want OneDrive touching your Sims 4 data, or on your computer at all.  Each option is covered in the first post, so just pick the option that works best for you and go from there.

Message 65 of 290 (1,294 Views)

Lost all Sims 4 saves

★★★ Novice

All of my saves are gone. I last played Sims 4 on May 12th with no issues with anything. I haven't played all month because of exams, and I finally had the chance to play again today and all my saves are gone. Nothing else seems to have happened to the game. It still has recorded how many hours I have in sims and that all seems normal but when I opened sims up, it was as if I had opened it for the first time. It had all the "Welcome to" messages for each of the game packs. All my saves are gone from the folder on my laptop as well...given that they're also gone from here, I'm not hopeful I'll ever get them back...I'm just hoping anyone has any answers as to why this happened, and any suggestions as to how I may be able to get them back..

Message 66 of 290 (1,290 Views)

Re: Lost all Sims 4 saves

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @sparrowkim502 

Check this post and see if you can find a solution to your problem there

CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-4-saves-user-content-disappearing-PC 

Message 67 of 290 (1,278 Views)

my sims world seems to be gone

★★★ Newbie

i haven't been able to play alot and so my games needed updated and i updated it and i went to get on and it said load a new game and it made me create a new character.

Message 68 of 290 (1,280 Views)

Re: my sims world seems to be gone

Champion
@breezydeanna Have you checked if there are any saves in your user folder?
Message 69 of 290 (1,264 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Sims 4 saves/user content disappearing (PC)

★★★ Apprentice

This is happening on console also so what can console players do

Message 70 of 290 (1,234 Views)