Moving to a new computer

by krpauley

Original Post

Moving to a new computer

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello,

I have previously purchased the Sims 3 as well as some of the expansion packs (Late Night, World Adventures, Ambitions, Fast Lane stuff). I played it on my MacBook Pro laptop. However, I stopped playing about a year or so ago because the laptop just couldn't handle it any longer. It would either crash or it would take so long to do an action that it was unplayable (literally, a sim making a single meal would take all day and they would pass out from hunger or lack of sleep before they completed it).

At any rate, we bought a new Mac Mini this week. However, it does not have a CD rom drive. I was able to move over the existing Sims 3 games using the TimeMachine backup to the new Mac but, of course, if I try to run the game it tells me that I need to insert a CD...which isn't possible. I thought that I might be able to purchase one of the newer expansions as a direct download to get around this but when I go to the website, it looks like the only available software for Macs is all packaged. What can I do other than buying an external CD rom (which I don't really want to do as this is about the only thiing I would use it for and honestly, I'd rather spend the money on something more generally useful...or more games). 

Is there a way to get around the requrement for a CD drive? Is there any way to purchase additional expansions for the Mac via download only? I'm particularly interested in Generations and the Supernatural one. 

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 2 (83 Views)

Re: Moving to a new computer

Community Manager

Did you register your games on the Sims 3 website? If yes you should be able to download them from the Origin client.

You can get the Origin client here: http://www.origin.com/download

Please use the same email and password to log into the client that you use on the Sims 3 website.

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 2 of 2 (57 Views)