Re: Windows 10 Issues

by fons_garmo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Windows 10 Issues

★★★★ Apprentice

After reading in the general site forums that the Sims2 can be played on windows 10 machines I decided to give it a try as Sims2 is my favorite of the bunch and I finally have a PC that has the capability to properly handle its demands.  I have the full set of discs, so installed the base game - DVD edition.  It ran well out of install (though only at 800x600), so that was a good sign.  Tried a second launch the following day right from the desktop and got an 'unspecified error' message.  Thanks to help from kind folks on the forums was able to get it up and running reliably, 800x600, and no crash even when going into CAS.  Emboldened, I tried installing the University EP, which went well until the point where the process wants the original Sims disc to ensure up to dateness.  Part way along the process stopped and there was an error message saying that the .exe file had stopped working and that Windows was shutting the operation down.  It did, and the expansion uninstalled itself.  As a test, tried launching the base game again, got it to run, but it crashed as soon as I tried to load a household.  Tried a few times to make sure it wasn't just t that one household, and it isn't.  Community members suggested a 3rd party base game update package, but that also ran part way and stopped.  EA tech support suggested doing a clean boot and trying the EP again.  Same results as before.  At this time of night, the EA guys are all elsewhere & cant' even leave a note.

Other than the above mentioned clean boot, recommended measures taken so far are: deleting 2 files that should empty but don't, install & run graphics rules maker, launch as administrator.  These 3 are what enabled the brief operating life of the game so far.

So, can this game actually be run on Windows 10, or do I have to hope my 20-something years old XP machine lives as long as I do?

Message 1 of 6 (871 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Hi @OldeSimsFan,

Have you tried to run the game in compatibility mode with Windows XP? You can choose to do so right clicking on the shortcut and selecting Properties. You will find the option in the Compatibility tab.

If that doesn't help, you could try to speak with one of our advisors through EA Help, they might be able to turn your physical copy of the game into digital, and it's possible that helps Standard smile

-Mai

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (1,022 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Hi @OldeSimsFan,

Have you tried to run the game in compatibility mode with Windows XP? You can choose to do so right clicking on the shortcut and selecting Properties. You will find the option in the Compatibility tab.

If that doesn't help, you could try to speak with one of our advisors through EA Help, they might be able to turn your physical copy of the game into digital, and it's possible that helps Standard smile

-Mai

Message 2 of 6 (1,023 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Clean boot didn't work.  Follow up with EA support resulted in being granted the UC edition.  So far it is working fine, just need to learn how to get the resolution better than 800x600.  The second rep mentioned that the 'curtain is closed' on updating and such using discs.  This presumably means newer Windows versions, as am still able to make installation repairs on my XP machines on the rare occasions that's needed.  Thank you for your advice!

Message 3 of 6 (831 Views)

EA app Team

Glad to read it is working @OldeSimsFan. Enjoy the Ultimate Collection! Standard smile

-Mai

Message 4 of 6 (821 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @OldeSimsFan,

To fix resolution issues you can use a little program called Graphics Rules Maker (you can search for it on Google). That program will fix compatibility between The SIms 2 & moderns GPUs/Windows Versions

Please note that this program is not official, is not made/tested by EA/Maxis and you should use it under your own responsability.

Message 5 of 6 (817 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

A very helpful first step, thanks!  Also needed to tweak the graphics rules file, which a kind soul on the forums showed me how to do.

Message 6 of 6 (757 Views)