Re: Happy 10th Anniversary Plants vs. Zombies! 🎁

by agentevil007

Original Post

Happy 10th Anniversary Plants vs. Zombies! 🎁

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hello, Neighborville!

apps.355.70921300667420253.8c8a7ac7-d0bd-46fb-a144-4c5ea316247c.jfif

Help us celebrate ten years of the battle between powerful plants and fun-loving zombies!

In February 2014 one of the most fun-loving games we have spent countless hours playing was released!

Looking back on the series!

They grow up so fast! It was 10 years ago yesterday, May 5, that the very first Plants vs. Zombies™ game bloomed for players, and then many more players, and then even more than that – including you! Throughout the years, players have made it one of the biggest slices of awesome ever, planting a ridiculous number of Sunflowers, Peashooters, Chompers, and others – probably about 4.5 gagillion plants in total, but that’s just a guess! – to protect brains from Football Zombies, Gargantuars, Imps, Buckethead Zombies, and other zombies.

Of course, Plants vs. Zombies was just the beginning of the harvest of great games, followed by Plants vs. Zombies 2 taking you across time and space, Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare and Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 unleashing the wackiest shooters the world’s ever known, and other fabulously fun numbers. And the fun hasn’t been solely games – who could forget when PvZ™ partnered with the American Dental Association to Stop Zombie Mouth or unleashed the toe-tapping-ist song in the galaxy, Wabby Wabbo? Or the New York Times Bestselling Plants vs. Zombies comics put out with the fine folks at Dark Horse Comics and written by multiple Eisner Award winner Paul Tobin? No-one could, that’s who! And that’s just the tip of the stalk when we start walking down the 10-year-old PvZ memory lane. 

pvz2_10birthdayz.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

But what do those who make the great games remember most fondly in their mighty minds when they think of those ten years, and all the amazing peas fired, brains eaten, and garbled genius lines spoken by Crazy Dave? Guess what? We asked them to find out! And we want to know what you remember, too. But more on that in a moment.

Favorite PvZ Memories from Game Developers

The folks that created the plantastic PvZ games have memories stretching back all the way to the beginning – and even before that! PvZ Writer and PvZ 2 Designer Stephen Notley has a favorite memory from those early days of planting and zombie-battling, saying, “My favorite memory of PvZ 1 was when it was just out of prototype. I was playing it with a couple of other people, and one of the co-founders of Popcap, said, ‘I need more sun.’ It was amazing seeing people discover that there is more to this game than meets the eye. There is a strategy and a thoughtfulness behind it. And it was about super simplifying tower defense but still making it really fun. Plus, I love being able to write the Almanac, and just write plant jokes.”

The jokes and puns and hilarity and fun have always been a crucial part of PvZ, throughout the games and every bit of the brand across the universe – and the teams have lots of fun, too. Just ask Justin Wiebe, the Creative Director for Garden Warfare 2, his favorite memory, and you’ll get a little insight into some of the jolly journeys the teams go on.

“At one point in the development of the original Garden Warfare, the Engineer Zombie could summon a drivable dune buggy. In our team playtests we had Engineers bombing around in their dune buggies, running over plants (which was insta-kill BTW) and making life generally miserable for the plant team.  Our Producer kept exploiting the ability to the point where we were forced to remove the dune buggy and replaced it with a non-damaging jackhammer. Ever since that day his K/D ratio dropped and has never recovered, a point I bring up often.”

Shaun Laker, Garden Warfare 2 Producer, echoes these sentiments around how much fun circles around PvZ, saving, “My favorite moment from Garden Warfare 2 was when I mistakenly entered the Backyard Plant base as a zombie. The sirens started to blast, and Super Bean appeared on my screen – he was out for me! What transpired was an intense battle with many respawns. I love these fun experiences in Garden Warfare – there are so many. It’s no surprise this unique and special game is so popular after its third-year anniversary.”

How does so much fun happen? Well, it takes folks like the above having a good time while making the games together. 

PvZBirthday_1920x1080.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

What Are Your Favorite PvZ Memories?

Of course, PvZ wouldn’t have gotten beyond the very first backyard without the support of our best botanical battlers – you!  PvZ players are the most passionate, kookiest, creative, hungriest, nuttiest bunch, and we certainly appreciate you. It’s always neat to hear you sing, draw, imitate, and talk about your favorite plants, zombies, and moments from the wild and wonderful growing world of PvZ. And now we want to hear even more!

That’s right; it’s time to tell us your favorite memories from the last ten years of Plants vs. Zombies. Just post them up on your social media channels, tagging us with the hashtag #PvZ10Years. Still remember unleashing your first Umbrella Leaf? Let us know about it! Have an unrelenting relish for the Relic Hunter Zombie? Fill us in on it! Created delectable fan art featuring Captain Deadbeard? Unveil it to us! We want to know what makes you smile when thinking about the first wonderful ten years of PvZ, so don’t hold back.

Thanks for being a part of the PvZ family -- we couldn’t have grown to ten without you!

Stay in the conversation by following us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 1 of 5 (703 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Playing Garden Warfare 2 on Xbox back in 2018 and 2019 was definitely some of the best years in my life, largely because that's when I first became involved in the community. The first Garden Warfare still holds many memories for me.

I feel very old knowing Garden Warfare turns 10 in two days.

Message 2 of 5 (642 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@EA_ShepardFinally playing online gw2 during a free xbox live trial on the spooky squash hunt was definetly a highlight that made me finally purchase xbox live and play mutliplayer. 

I still remember these two russian guys on the mics playing toxic brainz and party brainz. It was a definite blast as we finally defeated the dreaded gourd and they yelled in excitement. Man I wish those modes stayed over what? 4 randos rapid diahrea?

Gw1 was a 10 person chomper ambushed th at claimed all my teammates but an all star who tackled out as fast as he could on suburban flats. It was a lawless time where nobody really knew how gw1 worked like scientist being a shotgunner or engineer building teleporters.

Was probably the best time to play the game it the start because nobody knew what was going on as we ran up and then back down when chased by tallnuts on wallnut hills or ehat half the variants did. A lot of magic is lost when everyone just shoots them before they roll halfway down the hill or abuses a lot of exploits not known back then like the insta respawns.

Message 3 of 5 (609 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I'm a little late but happy 10th birthday to such a gem of a game!

I do prefer GW2 overall, but we'd not have it without the original. I watched a couple YouTubers playing for the anniversary and saw them getting matches quickly in the original which is a great sign for such a wonderful game.

I got it pretty much immediately after it came to PC and I had heard about it, back before the always on microphones were fixed and new game modes were added. Loved it from the first time I played it and still do.

I think this should show that we need a GW3, and especially if it remasters/modernizes some of the most beloved maps from the original GW!

Message 4 of 5 (343 Views)

★★★ Guide

Does that mean there's going to be a surprise announcement that GW3 coming 2025?

Message 5 of 5 (99 Views)