Windows 8 won't install game properly.

by null

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Windows 8 won't install game properly.

★★★ Newbie

I recently downloaded Dragon Age: Origin off of Gamefly, but during the installation, I get an error telling me that I must go through turn windows features on or off to configure Microsoft .NET 2.0. I have windows 8, which comes with NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 together, and 4.0 separate from the two. I can't install 2.0 because I already have it. Sometimes, despite the error, the installation continues, but I cant play the game, it just doesnt come up. What should I do?

Message 1 of 12 (5,290 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 8 won't install game properly.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

It's not Win8!   You should ditch the Gamefly version (get your money back, if possible).

I've installed both DAO and DA2 (both retail disc and EA/Origin versions) on my Win8/64-bit rig with no problems.  Did it several times (Consumer Preview in Feb 2012, then Release Preview in June 2012, then Win8 Pro in Oct 2012.)   No problems with any version.

Even if you can't get a full refund from the vendor, you can probably still get the EA/Origin download without having to buy the game again.  Install the Origin client, then contact EA Customer Service (http://support.ea.com http://help.ea.com) and Chose "Contact Us - Get Back in the Game".  Explain the situation and if you have your CD-Key, they should be able to authorize the d/l to your Origin account.

View in thread

Message 2 of 12 (5,408 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

It's not Win8!   You should ditch the Gamefly version (get your money back, if possible).

I've installed both DAO and DA2 (both retail disc and EA/Origin versions) on my Win8/64-bit rig with no problems.  Did it several times (Consumer Preview in Feb 2012, then Release Preview in June 2012, then Win8 Pro in Oct 2012.)   No problems with any version.

Even if you can't get a full refund from the vendor, you can probably still get the EA/Origin download without having to buy the game again.  Install the Origin client, then contact EA Customer Service (http://support.ea.com http://help.ea.com) and Chose "Contact Us - Get Back in the Game".  Explain the situation and if you have your CD-Key, they should be able to authorize the d/l to your Origin account.

Message 2 of 12 (5,409 Views)

★ Novice

Same problem here... any luck figuring it out? :mansad:

Message 3 of 12 (4,747 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

What do you mean, "same problem", zedk85?  You have the GameFly version too?

As I mention earlier, talk to an EA Game Advisor.  You can reach them through the Help Center.  Explain what's going on and be sure to have your CD-Key/Product Code handy.  They should be able to walk you through the process of downloading and installing the game directy from EA.

Message 4 of 12 (4,740 Views)

★★★ Newbie

There is a secondary solution if you prefer to use the Gamefly/Amazon/etc version:  Use compatability mode to Windows 7 for the installation.  I used advanced install as well, but I'm certain compatibility mode provided the installer with the right anwers to confirm .net 2.0+ is installed.  

Message 5 of 12 (4,603 Views)

★★★ Newbie

your links don't work, idiot.  what planet are you from?  have you even tried to access these nonexistent "contact us-get back in the game" people?  clicking on your links goes to a list of 366 topics, none of which follow the prompt array you have suggested to exist, and the other one simply says, "this webpage doesn't exist"!!!!!  I am sick and tired of you jackoff video gamers trying to sell old junk--at least you make it junk with your lack of actual technical expertise.  hire a real programmer, or get a new occupation.  are you actually suggesting i can get a refund for a digital download, after I have downloaded it on the supposition that, despite the wonderful review (some lackadaisical idiot like you probably wrote, which says it works perfectly on windows8) it actually "isn't win8"?  good luck, i speak from experience.  and by the way, we are currently on windows 8.1.  have you tried this, or have you moved on to predicting UFO sightings, unicorn smooching, and other appropriate activities for one so lost in the clouds to actually update/try out his own links.  are you paid, or do you trod about acting like a smurf with no sense of smell for free?

@ThandalNLyman wrote:

What do you mean, "same problem", zedk85?  You have the GameFly version too?

As I mention earlier, talk to an EA Game Advisor.  You can reach them through the Help Center.  Explain what's going on and be sure to have your CD-Key/Product Code handy.  They should be able to walk you through the process of downloading and installing the game directy from EA.

Message 6 of 12 (3,710 Views)

★ Apprentice

No need to be offensive.

I might not agree with Thandall every time but he does try to help.

The link he provided in first post didnt work it has been updated.

The link in the second post works though.

I play dragon age: origins and dragon age 2 on a windows 8.1 computer and the games play fine.

No issues like the ones reported in this thread.

So no dragon age can be played from a windows 8.1 computer there is something else preventing him from playing.

It might help to use compability mode too and I would probably try that frst to get it installed in the first place.

If that fails contact ea support.

Message 7 of 12 (3,692 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@fuorigins12345 wrote:

your links don't work, idiot.  what planet are you from?  have you even tried to access these nonexistent "contact us-get back in the game" people?  clicking on your links goes to a list of 366 topics, none of which follow the prompt array you have suggested to exist, and the other one simply says, "this webpage doesn't exist"!!!!!

Rather than getting all bent, if you'd bothered to pay attention you'd have noticed that the "broken links" you're whinging about were in posts made about a year ago.  At the time, the posts (and the links) were valid.  Just for you I've updated them to point to the "current" EA Help Center.  But the internet is a dynamic environment!  They might change tomorrow, and I have no control over that.

(BTW: Insulting the people who might be able to help you is probably not the best strategy.)

In any case, DAO (all versions supplied through EA and Steam) install just fine under Windown 8 and Windows 8.1, both 32-bit and 64-bit flavours (as long as your hardware is adequate, that is.)  Can't speak about other distribution channels.  Take it up with the specific retailer if you're not happy and don't want to use one of the ones that actually works.

Message 8 of 12 (3,673 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I don't know if this thread is still monitored, but I bought the downloadable version from Amazon, and it won't play. I've tried playing it in Windows 7 compatibility mode, but I still get the same result: after I put in my Origin account info, I get "Error: There is a problem with your game's setup. Please reinstall." I've tried reinstalling numerous times, and even re-downloading the installer. 

Message 9 of 12 (3,019 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I also just recently bought this game through Amazon and am having the same issues as Hockeykin1989.  I get the error.. We're sorry, an error has occurred.  Error:  There is a problem with your game's setup. Please reinstall your game.

Message 10 of 12 (3,010 Views)