[Old Report] Dead Space 2 won't launch from EA App

by JuanRemorquez

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Old Report] Dead Space 2 won't launch from EA App

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hi,

When I launch "Dead Space 2" in EA App on my Win10 PC, it raises the (frustratingly vague) error message "Your game failed to launch. An error on our end caused your launch to fail. Try again a little later."

First off - trying again "a little later" doesn't help. It has been about a week now and the problem still persists.

I've already contacted the EA help live-chat, and they suggested disabling all non-Microsoft services from msconfig, as well as disabling all startup programs from the 'Startup' tab in Task Manager. After rebooting my PC (a "clean boot"), the issue was still not resolved.

Other things that I've tried include various combinations of running EA-App (and the many helper programs in the same directory) and Dead Space 2 itself in 'Administrator mode', but that didn't help. Also uninstalling and reinstalling the game didn't help, and neither did uninstalling and reinstalling EA App itself.

Running the EA-app or the game in "Compatibility mode" for various older Windows releases didn't solve anything either.

I also tried running the "App Recovery" program to clear the cache, but that didn't do any good either (both regularly and "as administrator"). Similarly, from within the EA-app, I tried to 'Repair' the game's files, but that also didn't help.

In other support articles, I found mentions of CPU's with more than 10 cores not being supported very well, but I'm running on a quadcore CPU so that's not to blame.

My other games launch just fine; it seems to be JUST Dead Space 2 that's giving me trouble.

Furthermore, I've taken in all Windows 10 updates, and my GPU (GTX970) drivers are up-to-date too.
I've also re-run the "vcredist" installers that come in the game's installation directory (\__Installer\vc\vc2008sp1\redist), but the error keeps occurring.

Next, I also downloaded the more recent versions of these vcredist installers from Microsoft directly (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170, followed by choosing the "2008" version). Unfortunately, that also doesn't solve the launching problem.

In other topics, I've seen people suggest to run "sfc /scannow" in an elevated command prompt to verify system health, but that doesn't find any system corruptions on my computer.

Lastly, in the Windows event log, I also can't spot any errors related to the EA-App or Dead Space 2.

Please -- the EA App reports that it's an issue on _your_ end. I also strongly believe that the problem is tied to the EA-App, and not to my computer. Can you please look into this from your end?

Finally, I'd just like to mention that the EA-App would come across as more professional by not being so vague in its error reporting. The current error message just mentions "an error on our end", but that doesn't really give your support team that much clarity to efficiently troubleshoot. The very long list of suggested fixes above is a clear indication of this, too; it kind of feels like we're blindly debugging because the root cause is not reported clearly.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 65 (6,706 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dead Space 2 won't launch from EA App

★ Apprentice

Hi everyone,

just want to let you all know that my issue has been finally resolved. One of the Advisors asked some additional information to make sure they are working on the correct account, and when I provided that, another Advisor made some changes to my account and asked me to try again. Interestingly, after that, the EA App didn't list Dead Space 2 as one of my installed games anymore. As EA_Shepard recommended, I then thoroughly uninstalled the (broken) Dead Space 2 game using Revo Uninstaller (to also clean up a leftover registry setting), and after reinstalling the new version via the EA app, the game finally launches again.

@flagrant99 I was curious about your license key hypothesis, so after installing the new game version, I checked the license key via "Manage" -> "View properties". I now have a new license key, different from the one in my DVD case. Additionally, the new one indeed doesn't have any hyphens, whereas my retail game license key did -- just like you suspected weeks ago :-).

@EA_Shepard , thank you very much for your perseverance and continued assistance. I greatly appreciated your help, and you made me feel heard.

So, to summarize for everyone else who runs into "Your game failed to launch. An error on our end caused your launch to fail. Try again a little later.", and who additionally encounters the EntitlementNotFound launch error in "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\Logs\EADesktop.log" after a failed launch attempt:

1. Create a support case at http://help.ea.com/ where you ask to update the game's version with a more recent one
  2. Make sure to provide following info, so that they are able to verify they'll work on the right account:
    • Email Address
    • Persona(Xbox/PSN id) (note: I just provided my EA username, as I don't have any console-related identities)
    • Do you have the access of the email address?
    • Please share the game code. (note: "game code" seems to be used frequently as a synonym for "license key"; You can find your current license key via Manage -> View properties)
  3. Finally, it might not hurt to refer to this forum thread (or more particularly to this message from Community Manager EA_Shepard ), to provide some additional context for the Advisor team.

Good luck to anyone else facing these difficulties! I hope this solution helps you out!

View in thread

Message 49 of 65 (7,061 Views)

All Replies

Re: "Dead Space 2" won't launch from EA App, due to "an error on

★★★★ Novice

I am having same problem. Just finished Dead Space Remake and wanted to fire up Dead Space 2. 

Message 2 of 65 (6,607 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I get no error either so pretty sure this is some kind of server issue. not the app launcher. dead space 1 launches fine.

EA support on the phone basically said he heard it works on steam. Looks like I can't transfer my license to steam. 

If anybody knows how to do that let me know.

Message 3 of 65 (6,598 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi, coming back to report some additional troubleshooting information.

On a completely different Windows 10 computer, I also installed the EA-app (via the forced upgrade prompt from within Origin, which was still installed on it) along with Dead Space 2. I then tried to launch Dead Space 2 on it, but it failed with the same error message; i.e. still an error on EA's end.

Can anyone from the EA-app dev team or something please look into this issue? Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 65 (6,580 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same here. Dead Space 1 and Squadrons run fine from EA App.

Disconnected network cable. 

Dead Space 1 and Squadrons STILL run from EA App.

Dead Space 2 doesn't even give an error. Nothing launches at all.

Direct Launching of game just re-launches EA-App which requires some always on server connection that as the error says is a problem on EA's side. 

Also tried running EA App as Admin. Didn't help.

Image1.png

Message 5 of 65 (6,554 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Tried my old laptop still doesn't work I get

"An error on our end caused your launch to fail. Try again a little later"

CASE\MODEL dell xps 13 9350
POWERSUPPLY SMP DELL JHXPY53 57.53Wh/6.58Ah
MOBO Intel Skylake-U Premium PCH
CPU Intel Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz 14nm
RAM 8192 MB  LPDDR3 1867 MHz dual-channel
HD NVMe Samsung SSD 960 EVO (1TB, PCIe) : 932GB
VIDEO Intel HD Graphics 520, Core: 300 MHz,
SCREEN 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, SHP1420, IPS, glossy: no
NIC Dell Wireless 1820A 802.11ac (802.11n (HT), AES-CCMP, 144Mbps)
NIC2 Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) (Ethernet)
Sound Dell High Definition Audio Controller

Here are the specs for my new pc that also gives

"An error on our end caused your launch to fail. Try again a little later"

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU - MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB VENTUS 3X OC 16GB DDR6X PCI
RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Trident Z Royal Silver 3200Mhz PC4-25600 CL16 1.35V Dual Channel Kit (2x16GB)
PSU - CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W
Mobo - ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Mii ITX
NIC - Intel Ethernet Controller 1225-V
Bluetooth - Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 module
Audio - SupremeFX7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A
Samsung - 980 PRO 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M2

Message 6 of 65 (6,533 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\Logs\EADesktop.log

170 [2023-03-31T12:31:43.760Z] PID: 11184 TID: 21420 WARN (eax:Confusedervices::drm::requestLegacyLicense) Failed to get license: [100009]
171 [2023-03-31T12:31:43.760Z] PID: 11184 TID: 21420 WARN (eax:Confusedervices::LicenseManager::requestLicense) Request License FAILED: deadspace2_dd.

Message 7 of 65 (6,478 Views)

Can't launch Dead Space 2/release date check failure

★★★ Newbie

Can't launch Dead Space 2 on EA Play due to the release date check failing. I don't want to have to change the system date/time every time I want to play, is there a workaround or a fix for this?

Message 8 of 65 (6,364 Views)

Re: Can't launch Dead Space 2/release date check failure

Community Manager

@TasstySnaxx Hey there, Are you downloading the game through the EA App, or another launcher? With a PC, there are going to be a few reasons that error pops up. You shouldn't have to do that every time you want to play.

Can you send me the steps you have done? I don't want to go through all the I've done those already you know?

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 9 of 65 (6,343 Views)

How should I play Dead Space 2 with a Legacy CD Key License?

★★★★ Novice

How should I play Dead Space 2 with a Legacy CD Key License? 

A while back I thought I converted my CD Key to a digital license. 

Is that possible?

I have the EA App when I try to launcher it says problem on EA's end. 

Logs show 

170 [2023-03-31T12:31:43.760Z] PID: 11184 TID: 21420 WARN (eaxs:ervices::drm::requestLegacyLicense) Failed to get license: [100009]
171 [2023-03-31T12:31:43.760Z] PID: 11184 TID: 21420 WARN (eaxConfusedervices::LicenseManager::requestLicense) Request License FAILED: deadspace2_dd. 

It shows my CD Key in the app.

I have a co-worker that can play fine with a modern digital license.

I still have the dvd's.

If I get an external usb DVD reader will I be able to play from Discs.

I tried to enter my CD Key and it says it was already used. 

Used for what since I don't have a digital license.

Message 10 of 65 (6,142 Views)