Re: can't see mouse pointer

by Nyerguds

Original Post

Accepted Solution

can't see mouse pointer

★★★ Newbie

I got the Command and Conquer collection because I grew up with it. Tried playing it, but when it loads up, I can't see my mouse pointer in most of the games. I can select menu items if I can get it in just the right place. On other C&C games, I can see the pointer but it doesn't act right (won't select menu items). I have a Microsoft wireless trackball (M570). Is there something I can do?

Message 1 of 4 (2,389 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero

@veneficus78

Please specify exactly in which games you get which problems.  These games were created over a span of more than 15 years, for very different Windows versions, so they all have their own unique problems. There is never a simple global solution for solving everything in all games.

That said, Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and the game should work.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (2,801 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@veneficus78

Please specify exactly in which games you get which problems.  These games were created over a span of more than 15 years, for very different Windows versions, so they all have their own unique problems. There is never a simple global solution for solving everything in all games.

That said, Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and the game should work.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 4 (2,802 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Are you still around to help with a newbie that cannot get the mouse to work?

Message 3 of 4 (909 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@RRiess You might want to reread the first paragraph of my post. It specifically highlights the problem that this collection contains a lot of games, and that there is no way to help you if you don't specify which exact game you are talking about.

Message 4 of 4 (877 Views)