Re: origin display too large and other issues

by holger1405

Original Post

origin display too large and other issues

★★ Novice

I'm having a lot of issues with origin and with the sims 4. For some background information, I have an hp pavilion x360, my resolution is set at 1920x1080, and my scaling is at 150%. 

I have had many issues when trying to play my sims 4 game today. I don't know how long this issue has existed as it's been a little while since I tried to play my game, but I did install the most recent sims 4 update and played it with no issues. When I tried to open my game from my desktop this morning origin opened and the display was suddenly huge. I've had this issue before when initially downloading origin onto my computer and had to download the beta version of origin from this thread. It had worked fine up until now.

The weird thing about this time is that I could tell the display was really big because it was scaled huge and the buttons along the top were very blurry, but the actual inside part of origin wasn't loading and was just a blank white screen. It never fully loaded and closed on its own. The sims never opened so I figured I'd try to open it again, when my computer came up with an error message saying the application was already open, even though it wasn't loading and when I brought up the task bar nothing was open. I then tried to open origin and it did the same thing with the large scale, never completed loading, and closed on its own. 

I restarted my computer and tried to open the sims again. This time it actually worked initially but it just got stuck on the loading screen and the game never actually opened. I had to open the task bar and stop the program to close it. Origin did the same thing again with the display being huge, not fully loading, and then closing on its own.

I tried to reinstall origin and it just keeps on coming up with a huge display that spills off of my screen no matter what I do. I've tried following instructions from other threads I've read by right-clicking the setup, going into properties, and messing with the display settings. One thing I noticed was that in other threads, like this one, you're supposed to tick disable display scaling on high DPI settings under compatibility. I initially was going to do that but that option doesn't even exist when I go to the compatibility page. That's why I messed around a little bit and at one point I got the installer to look normal again so I went through with the installation and when origin opened the display was huge again and the inside still wouldn't load. It also closed suddenly again. 

At this point I'm at a loss. I'm tired of trying to mess around with this and while I can navigate a computer I'm not the best with them and I don't want to mess anything up, so for now I'm giving up until I can get some answers. I shouldn't have to work this hard just to play a video game. 

Message 1 of 7 (641 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
there are many games that dont like disability scale in the OS
its actual better to lower resolutions in a game to get bigger UI/font

and in the old days it was even worse go high in resolution in old games only make UI even smaller and fonts so small that its a joke but more game company actual made UI scaleable in a game help alot.
Message 2 of 7 (627 Views)

Community Manager

@MJHittYT  Would you mind clearing the Origin Cache to see if it makes a difference.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Let me know how you get on. 

Darko.png
Message 3 of 7 (609 Views)

★★ Novice

Unfortunately this didn't work. Maybe it's because I already uninstalled Origin from my computer, so I've been having issues trying to reinstall it. The display always shows up so large I can't even complete the download, even after trying this. Is there anything else I can try?

Message 4 of 7 (588 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

reset scaleing to 100% or default as its called.

have you zoomed in a browser try the ( "CTRL" + *0" that is zero ) that will reset browser windows zoom to default

Message 5 of 7 (569 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried this and was able to get origin to download again thankfully. I'm still having the problem where Origin is refusing to load and just shuts itself down and when I try to open my sims 4 game it just gets stuck at the loading screen so unfortunately I still can't really do anything.

Message 6 of 7 (545 Views)

@MJHittYT

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply.

If you use Windows 7 also go to your Reliability monitor > Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time and copy and paste or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in the new Window > hit “ENTER” and look if it has entries for the game you have trouble with.

If yes double click at the last entry for the game executable, copy the info to the clipboard, and save it to a text file.

Perf.png

You can attach the DxDiag text file you created (and the “Reliability monitor” text file as well) to your post in the “Reply” window with the “Choose File” button. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 7 of 7 (536 Views)