move bf1 to a ssd

by 1431ocir

Original Post

Accepted Solution

move bf1 to a ssd

★★ Novice

Hi all just to ask    I have bf1 on a hdd  I just added a 1tb ssd  can I uninstall bf1 off the hdd and reinstall it on the ssd  and have all my progress back?

Message 1 of 7 (11,377 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: move bf1 to a ssd

EA app Team

Sure, @1431ocir, I will even explain you how to do the installation faster:

1. Make a copy of the Battlefield 1 folder you will find in Documents \ Electronic arts to another location. Here is where your user files are stored and the copy you have done will be your backup, just in case Wink

2. Go to Origin > Application Settings > Installs & Saves.

3. Change the Game library location to the folder in your SSD where you want to install your game.

4. With Origin closed, go to your HDD and find the Battlefield 1 folder, which by default is inside C: \ Program files (x86) \ Origin Games. Move that folder to the location of your SSD where you want to install the game (the location we created in step 3).

5. Once the folder has been moved, open Origin and log into your account.

6. Click on Battlefield 1 to start the "download" of the game. Origin will find the folder you moved and instead of downloading the game again, it will only check the files. It should be done in a couple of minutes, ready to play!

7. Remember to change the Game library location back to your HDD if you don't want to install more games in your SSD.

Of course, it this looks too complicated, you could always uninstall, and download/install the game again into your SSD Wink

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions Standard smile

Mai

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (15,185 Views)

All Replies

EA app Team

Sure, @1431ocir, I will even explain you how to do the installation faster:

1. Make a copy of the Battlefield 1 folder you will find in Documents \ Electronic arts to another location. Here is where your user files are stored and the copy you have done will be your backup, just in case Wink

2. Go to Origin > Application Settings > Installs & Saves.

3. Change the Game library location to the folder in your SSD where you want to install your game.

4. With Origin closed, go to your HDD and find the Battlefield 1 folder, which by default is inside C: \ Program files (x86) \ Origin Games. Move that folder to the location of your SSD where you want to install the game (the location we created in step 3).

5. Once the folder has been moved, open Origin and log into your account.

6. Click on Battlefield 1 to start the "download" of the game. Origin will find the folder you moved and instead of downloading the game again, it will only check the files. It should be done in a couple of minutes, ready to play!

7. Remember to change the Game library location back to your HDD if you don't want to install more games in your SSD.

Of course, it this looks too complicated, you could always uninstall, and download/install the game again into your SSD Wink

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions Standard smile

Mai

Message 2 of 7 (15,186 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Instead of checking files, Origin decide to delete my previous game and re-download over top of the folder. Battlefield 1 is now gone and now I have to reinstall instead of Origin just finding the library change and adjusting for the directory, similar to "HOW EASY IT IS" to do the same library change or a library in Steam. Anyway I can keep Origin from deleting all 20+ game in my library and not re-download them, which would take hours.

Message 3 of 7 (10,982 Views)

★★★ Novice

worked perfectly. thanks.

Message 4 of 7 (9,369 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Yeah... The thing is that, if there is not enough space for one more copy of the game after you move the files, you cannot proceed to "download" the game. What do we do then?

Message 5 of 7 (6,363 Views)

EA app Team
Hi @BestFisterEU,

You would need to free some space in the hard drive you want to have the game in, just for the installation. You could move some files to another drive temporarily, and move them back once you are done.

Or instead of moving the installation files before starting the download, try to do it after. So start the download, pause it, close Origin, move the files, then open Origin again and resume the download.

If that doesn't work, then you could let Origin install the game from scratch. It will take more time but you will have your progress still there.

Cheers,
-Mai
Message 6 of 7 (6,347 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I was hoping for a different option of proceeding to the next step no matter the space I have left, but the obvious solution you are proposing seems like a lot of work for a flaw ( or a missing feature, if you prefer that term) in Origin. Maybe they should follow steam's steps for once and do it the easy way.

Message 7 of 7 (6,334 Views)