Xbox Account Linking

by DA_iNFAMOUS_DRE

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Xbox Account Linking

★★ Novice

I've had an EA account for about 12 years, and over the course of those 12 years I've linked 3 gamertags to my EA account. Because of this I'm unable to link my current gamertag to my EA account. I haven't used those old gamertags in about 10 years. I managed to remove 1 thanks to support manually removing it for me, but I've been told that i have to wait 6 months to remove another one. This makes literally no sense. I'm supposed to wait an entire year to get these accounts unlinked just to link my current gamertag to my EA account. 

This new policy has no thought behind it. There seems to be no exception or understanding that these gamertags have been linked to my EA account long before these policies were added, there was no warning or problem with linking more than 1 gamertag to an EA account... 

Now I'm unable to use my Xbox Game Pass with my EA account because I can't link it for another year. The only solution given to me is making another EA account to link to my Xbox Game Pass. If i wanted to unlink my account in a year so that I can link it back to my main account, it'll result in my data for games being erased. I'd also have to keep switching between accounts constantly because all my games I bought are on my original EA account. This is ridiculous. This policy is horrible and is making a terrible user experience. 

Message 1 of 6 (686 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Xbox Account Linking

Community Manager
Hey @DA_iNFAMOUS_DRE,

Thanks for the feedback.

The change to only accept 1 linked platform-specific account to an EA account was made quite some time ago, a couple of years actually. This means that an EA account, at least new ones since that change became active & updated accounts, are only able to have 1x an Xbox account, 1x a PlayStation account, etc. The change was made to make the account more secure.

You can unlink your platform accounts from your EA Account if you want to link them to a different EA Account, as long as that EA Account has never had the same account type linked to it before in its lifetime.

That means if you unlink an Xbox Gamertag from your EA Account, you can’t link a different Xbox Gamertag to it in the future.

More information about unblinking accounts can be found on our website: https://help.ea.com/en/help/account/unlink-gaming-accounts-from-ea-account/.
EA_LeeuwAHQ

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (672 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager
Hey @DA_iNFAMOUS_DRE,

Thanks for the feedback.

The change to only accept 1 linked platform-specific account to an EA account was made quite some time ago, a couple of years actually. This means that an EA account, at least new ones since that change became active & updated accounts, are only able to have 1x an Xbox account, 1x a PlayStation account, etc. The change was made to make the account more secure.

You can unlink your platform accounts from your EA Account if you want to link them to a different EA Account, as long as that EA Account has never had the same account type linked to it before in its lifetime.

That means if you unlink an Xbox Gamertag from your EA Account, you can’t link a different Xbox Gamertag to it in the future.

More information about unblinking accounts can be found on our website: https://help.ea.com/en/help/account/unlink-gaming-accounts-from-ea-account/.
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 2 of 6 (673 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I haven’t played on Xbox in quite some time so I didn’t realize this policy changed until I tried using my Xbox Game Pass on PC and customer support told me.

I don’t want to unlink all of my platform accounts from my EA account onto a new one. I bought a lot of games & DLC on my account. I don’t want to lose my saves, leaderboard stats, etc. This is complicated for no reason.

I literally cannot unlink my old Xbox accounts. I don’t have the option. I now have to come back every 6 months to unlink 1 account at a time I’m being told. That literally makes no sense to make me come back and remove 1 at a time. The attached image shows its the only platform I can't unlink from.

This policy is ridiculous. So, are you saying that even after I unlink these old gamertags that were linked to my EA account about 10 years ago, that I will not ever be able to link my current gamertag that wasn't linked to my account?

The fact that I now have to swap between 2 EA accounts when I want to play my games. 1 account to use with Xbox game pass and 1 with all the games I’ve already purchased and that’s linked to all my other platforms is extremely inconvenient. This also isn’t making my accounts more secure forcing me to spread platforms across multiple EA accounts.  

I’m forced into this situation by your policy because I can’t play any EA games from my Xbox Game Pass. I can’t unlink my other 2 accounts. Forcing me to wait 6 months to unlink 1 account at a time makes no sense. They all should have been unlinked automatically once this policy was put into place and have allowed me to relink the 1 account I choose to use. I’ve literally been trapped into this situation by this ridiculous policy change.  

CM edit: removed attachment to protect player privacy.

Message 3 of 6 (637 Views)

Community Manager
@DA_iNFAMOUS_DRE, I very much understand the frustrating situation that you're in right now, and I appreciate it a lot that you share this feedback with us. I will definitely make sure that this feedback is being passed on to the correct teams.
However, unfortunately, at the moment there's nothing that can be changed regarding this policy/situation, I am afraid.
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 4 of 6 (560 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Absolute scam. I have the same problem. EA doesn't even give me the option to unlink xbox accounts. I try to login with xbox credentials and it just tells me automatically that my password expired. Doesn't even give me the option to choose login credentials. EA are criminals. 

Message 5 of 6 (489 Views)

I'm having the exact same problem. So glad I came here and found your reply so I know I'm not alone. Total BS that they have made this so convoluted and difficult. I'm just canceling my xbox game pass and buying games from now on. Enough of this garbage. 

Message 6 of 6 (392 Views)