Expired games show in game library after Windows 10 upgrade and drive refresh

by RealBlackinator

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Expired games show in game library after Windows 10 upgrade and drive refresh

★★★ Newbie

I recently upgraded my HP laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and 'refreshed' my hard drive to solve a few UI bugs with the operating system. Refreshing deletes all user-installed apps (including Origin and any games installed via Origin), but preserves personal files. I reinstalled Origin with the intention of re-downloading all my games, however FIFA World and Need for Speed World (both free downloadable games that worked perfectly before the upgrade) both show up as expired; I can't install or uninstall them. All my other games are freely downloadable.

I can't think why this would be the case, as neither of the games are trials and I doubt that I've hit any kind of download limit; FIFA World has been downloaded twice (the other time was on another computer running Origin using the same EA Account) and Need for Speed World just once. I therefore suspect it is something to do with the hard drive refresh (although if it deleted all app files, then surely I should be able to download these games without problems). I have tried restoring the original program files for the two games (from a hard drive backup that I made before upgrading), but this didn't help.

This is mega strange and any assistance would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 3 (752 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Expired games show in game library after Windows 10 upgrade and drive refres

★★★★★ Expert

Several free to play games did expire recently, after getting a three month warning that they were being closed down.  They've been gone nearly a month now. 

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (751 Views)

All Replies

Re: Expired games show in game library after Windows 10 upgrade and drive refres

★★★★★ Expert

Several free to play games did expire recently, after getting a three month warning that they were being closed down.  They've been gone nearly a month now. 

Message 2 of 3 (752 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I thought once you own the game its yours no hidden stuff so why would a game you give for free just expire that seams shady to me and typical EA

Message 3 of 3 (562 Views)