Bannd because of my actual name feeling discriminated

by newportshorts17

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Bannd because of my actual name feeling discriminated

★ Novice

I got banned because of my actual name. Its nick cruz and apparently it references a violent and or traumatic events. I can't help the name I was given at birth, I find it highly offensive and discriminatory that I am being banned because of my legal name. Now my question is what will happen if they decide to ban me again? Because I am not going to change my name. 

I am going to this bored for some answers and insight. Honestly I am considering taking legal action at this point. I don't want to but I feel like it will be the only way to be heard.

Message 1 of 5 (387 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Bannd because of my actual name feeling discriminated

Community Manager

Happy to provide what clarification I can, @newportshorts17.

One other thing to consider is that while many folks out there have a genuine and personal interest in using a particular name, we also have to consider how certain names or words are perceived by the vast majority of the playerbase that may not understand that personal connection.

To that end there will be certain names that fall under the points outlined previously which simply aren't permitted due to no particular fault of your own, apologies for the disappointment that's caused.

I can't say with absolute certainty whether keeping this name would result in an additional permanent action on the account if reported as that's ultimately up to our Terms of Service team. However, if they've reviewed a suspension multiple times and decided not to change it, it's very much possible that additional actions along those same lines would result in a ban.

Mako.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (348 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @newportshorts17

Having a username that means something to you on a personal level is definitely important, especially if you use some variation of your real name. 

Just to provide a bit more context into why certain names may be deemed inappropriate, Electronic Arts is committed to making our games and experiences fun, fair and safe for everyone.

We use various tools to achieve this, including tools to filter inappropriate user-generated content in areas like in-game chat and EA Account, player and team names. 

We want to be very thoughtful and consider several things in our filter rules including:

• the types of content players report to us most, 
  • historically hateful concepts, 
  • trending offensive terms,
  • game rating,
  • and names that may not be eligible due to agreements.

Check out the EA Positive Play Charter to see what kinds of content you can use to keep things positive.

Unfortunately, because of the disruptive behavior of a few members in our gaming community who use certain words or names to harass other players or to glorify offensive conduct, our filter prevents anyone from using those words or names. 

We think it's best to proactively eliminate any potential harm or disruption these terms can cause for players of all backgrounds. 

And sometimes our filter makes mistakes when a word or name is similar to an offensive term. If that is the case, we’ll fix it as soon as we can. With monitoring and reports from players, we aim to balance things so that players can speak freely in chat, be creative in their names, and still remove the most disruptive content.

You're welcome to appeal any account actions using these steps and while we're unable to review or change these decisions on the forums, we can certainly pass along the feedback in these cases. Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Mako.png
Message 2 of 5 (368 Views)

★ Novice

@EA_Mako  I appreciate you taking the time to reply back, and to give more depth into the matter. At this point I give up. I have tried twice to resolve this issue, they both got denied. On the second try they said case closed its final. I turned to here for the sole purpose of getting in touch with a cm such as yourself. So I can get some insight into thematter. I felt like with the people I spoke with via email and phone said they agreed, made a case and that's it. I just want to also express how I feel about said matter. Although your answer is thuro and direct. I am still very displeased as to what has acured, for using my  actual name. The first message I got clearly stated it was " your nhl 22 name - Nick cruz "

My full name is Nickolas cruz and as I stated before, I will not change my name in nhl 22 or 23. if I even consider purchasing 23. I just wanted to know if I will be suspended indefinitely the next time someone wants to be a troll.

Message 3 of 5 (359 Views)

Community Manager

Happy to provide what clarification I can, @newportshorts17.

One other thing to consider is that while many folks out there have a genuine and personal interest in using a particular name, we also have to consider how certain names or words are perceived by the vast majority of the playerbase that may not understand that personal connection.

To that end there will be certain names that fall under the points outlined previously which simply aren't permitted due to no particular fault of your own, apologies for the disappointment that's caused.

I can't say with absolute certainty whether keeping this name would result in an additional permanent action on the account if reported as that's ultimately up to our Terms of Service team. However, if they've reviewed a suspension multiple times and decided not to change it, it's very much possible that additional actions along those same lines would result in a ban.

Mako.png
Message 4 of 5 (349 Views)

★ Novice

@EA_Mako thank you for all of your input. I appreciate you taking time to discuss this matter with me. Have a good day sir.

Message 5 of 5 (336 Views)