Re: AI is dumb, tactics don't exist tact cam is a pain. Will it get patched?

by ShadowDragoonFTW

Original Post

AI is dumb, tactics don't exist tact cam is a pain. Will it get patched?

★ Apprentice
Wow I regret this 60 dollar purchase. One of the things that set DA:O apart for all other games for me was detailing almost every little thing I wanted my party to do in combat. Anyway, that's gone now, the AI is dumber than ME 1, and the idea of micro managing every little action like a turn base game is not fun and simply not very practical given the nature of the cam itself. So what do we do now? Is the devs even going to patch the AI or update us with a real tactical menu? Why did they dumb down the game so much? Why is the AI so stupid? Is anyone else this disappointed in the game? If not, then please help me understand how to make this game feel stratigic and satisfying in light of these issues I'll listen and try anything. It's a shame they tried to tempt the skyrim fan base with something that is anything but at the cost of their loyal fan base. Are they going to listen or brush us off?
Message 1 of 5 (1,433 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having a real problem trying to use "Hold Position" command as party member immediatley break command. Since I cant have better part control I just use a smaller party, makes the game much harder but more fun.

Message 2 of 5 (1,420 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah..AI is pretty stupid....fought the dragon..mainly failed quite abit cause AI kept running into the fire..i mean really....why?..

Message 3 of 5 (1,400 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Guys,

This is a tech support forum.  If you want help, you need to describe what is happening.

Mention your:

1. Hardware ; example: AMD FX-6300 6 core cpu, RD 7770 graphics card.. etc, Monitor, resolution..etc

2. OS :  example Windows 7 32bit/64bit

3. Installed drivers: example: AMD Catalyst 14.2.11 Beta installed successfully

The guy at the other end reading..."..this games sucks bad.." is in no position to discover what is wrong.

Be polite.... they are under extreme stress as it is..

About the AI and lack of tactics

The DAO/DA2 AI tactics implementation was changed for reasons I don't know. However, they have compensated with abilities like BARRIER and GUARD... which basically increases you health. Mages can constantly spam BARRIER and warriors can generate GUARD when fighting.

For Mages -> Spirit Tree --> get BARRIER, more the better

For Warriors -> Shout and WAR cry generate GUARD

For Archers -> develop left side of tree and use Stealth

Guide for GUARD: http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2mto0v/guide_how_to_generate_guard/

It's not the answer you are looking but believe me, I went from constantly dying to exploring the Hinterlands with one set of potions from the starting camp until I establish the next camp.

Good luck people:

peace

Message 4 of 5 (1,379 Views)

★★★ Novice

Barrier and Guard are meant to replace the fact that you no longer have healing abilities from mages. The reduced tactics, however, aren't really compensated in any meaningful way.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game so far, but I have to agree that the AI is a bit of a crapshoot now. ESPECIALLY without a static Hold command like in the old games. Now, as soon as you switch to a different character, it immediately breaks their Hold command, and doesn't reapply it when you take control of someone else. It's only a problem in niche circumstances, but it IS an issue. An even bigger issue, however, is the Hold command not applying at all. If I'm trying to climb a steep cliff or check a few small rooms quickly, I try to tell my party members to Hold so I can move around without them getting in my way.

Cue five seconds later when Iron Bull and Blackwall are completely blocking a doorway and won't move so I can't leave the room...

Message 5 of 5 (1,361 Views)