Re: Framedrops while playing BF4

by Vahrdo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Framedrops while playing BF4

★★★ Novice

So, since yesterday I'm suddenly getting huge framedrops in BF4. My FPS goes from about 90 (with Vsync off) to 24 and back up to 90 every few seconds. Changing from Ultra to Low didn't change anything, the FPS still drops to around 24. Same goes for Ultra + Resolution scale 200, the FPS drops from around 40 to around 24 again.

PC specs:

Palit Geforce GTX 970

Intel Xeon e3 1231-v3

8 GB RAM

Windows 7

I've been playing on this setup for months without any problems and haven't changed anything about the hardware, BF4 just suddenly started doing this when I started it up yesterday and I have absolutely no idea why.

Message 1 of 9 (460 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

It has indeed been a heat based issue. My CPU fan somehow came loose yesterday and my CPU then reduced it's speed to prevent itself from overheating/damage which resulted in the framerate going nuts.

View in thread

Message 9 of 9 (385 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

Hello

• Try to reinstall the game.
  • Delete the configuration file settings of the game. (My Documents--folder Battlefield 4)
  • Completely remove and re-install the driver for your graphics card.
  • Check for updates your Windows.
  • Clean the system. (AdvancedSystemCare or CCleaner)
  • Try turning off antivirus.
  • Try disabling the option "Origin in the game"

Good luck.

Message 2 of 9 (441 Views)

★★★ Novice

So far it seems to have improved the issue (Less frequent framedrops) but not entirely solved it.

Message 3 of 9 (434 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Check load your video card.

If the load is low card. FPS in the game will also be low. 

You can verify this special program.  MSI Afterburner

Message 4 of 9 (429 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Updating to windows 8.1 has solved this similar problem for me, if you are able to do that @Vahrdo you should give it a try.

Message 5 of 9 (428 Views)

★★★ Novice

According to MSI Afterburner te GPU load seems to average slightly below 50% with some ocasional spikes going +/- 20%

That's on 100% resolution scale (1600 x 900) and Ultra preset.

Message 6 of 9 (418 Views)

Hero (Retired)

it is not good.

Need 50-100%.

Message 7 of 9 (412 Views)

★★★ Novice

To be honest, I think that might not be the issue. I CAN get the GPU load to be around 97-99% if I set the resolution scale ingame to 200%, of course that reduces my framerate to around 30-40.

However I noticed it might be an heat issue, not with the GPU which stays at a nice 60 degree while playing BF4 but rather the CPU which seems to exceed 100 degree celsius. I've never had this before so I have no idea what's suddenly causing my CPU to overheat this much.

Message 8 of 9 (402 Views)

★★★ Novice

It has indeed been a heat based issue. My CPU fan somehow came loose yesterday and my CPU then reduced it's speed to prevent itself from overheating/damage which resulted in the framerate going nuts.

Message 9 of 9 (386 Views)