Re: Battlefield 4 crashes at startup.

by TapouTony420

Original Post

Battlefield 4 crashes at startup.

★ Novice

I have been having some real trouble with BF4 since buying it earlier today.

I played two rounds with some minor stuttering.  I restarted my computer and got a weird DirectX error, even though I had been using Mantle, the game wont even start.  So I reinstalled it, after downloading it all over again.  Same error.

Here is a link to a screenshot of the error.

At this point I'm not sure what else to do.  I'm so frustrated I am considering getting a refund. 

Message 1 of 4 (325 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

First off, you are going to want to get rid of Mantle, and switch to DX11.  Mantle is a dead beta program that has been abandoned by AMD.  There should be no issues when running on DX11.  Secondly, to fix the stuttering you will have to disable Origin In-Game.  To do so, follow these steps below:

1. In your Origin Client, click "Origin" in your top left corner

2. Click "Application Settings"

3. Click "Origin In Game"

4. Un-check the box next to "Enable Origin In-Game"

Disabling Origin In-Game will solve the stuttering problem.  Now, onto the launching issue.  If uninstalling Mantle and re-installing DX11 does not solve that issue, then you may have a launching problem in your browser.  If you are using Chrome, you will have to have to switch to Firefox until the issues with Chrome are resolved.  After you go to Firefox, download the latest browser plug-in and install it.  You should now be able to join multiplayer matches.  Chrome right now, does not support plug-in launching, but has a "Plug-in Free Launching" system that is a bit buggy at the moment, so that is why I am recommending the switch to Firefox.  I personally love Chrome, but have to use Firefox until they work out the bugs.

Post back and let me know how this all goes for you!!

Did my post help you? Click "Grant XP"
Did my post solve your issue? Click "Accept As Solution"

I do not work for EA. I am just a gamer helping fellow gamers.

See you on the Battlefield!!!

Multi-Platform Elite Race: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4

I DO NOT ANSWER PMs. IF YOU NEED HELP, POST A NEW THREAD SO THE WHOLE COMMUNITY CAN GIVE INPUT, AND IF IT GETS SOLVED, EVERYONE CAN SEE THE SOLUTION.

Message 2 of 4 (314 Views)

Hero

@TapouTony420 Comon, I need to write this again? :D

Mantle is not "dead", Mantle is still fully supported by AMD on all titles that incorporate it. Mantle still works as fine as it ever did for BF4 and it generally works better than DirectX11 especially on computers with relatively slow CPU's. Since DX11 is not longer being worked on you could say DX11 is dead as well then.

Will future games use Mantle as we know it now? No. DirectX12 will do the job for future titles that Mantle do now, but DirectX12 would not have existed, and not in this awesome form, if it was not for Mantle. Mantle's success killed Mantle.

Mantle is still an innovation platform for AMD, and if they make something cool and Nvidia / Microsoft / Intel etc. don't want to play Mantle > v.1.0 might arrive for future games.

While using DirectX11 is a nice workaround for Mantle not working, you might try and get Mantle to work by removing all the settings for BF4 beforehand. You can do so  by deleting the settings folder in documents:

Documents\Battlefield 4\settings - there might also be a Mantle folder with cache files you can delete as well.

There's also an 15.8 driver out that you would probably want to upgrade to.

carbonic signature

Message 3 of 4 (298 Views)

Hero (Retired)

As Ragnarok stated in the other thread you had posted this to, I will re-state it here so this OP is aware as well.  :D

"Mantle is dead as in it's not in further development. http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-halts-mantle-optimizations-for-current-and-future-graphics-cards/

Mantle does still work but it was always in beta (not release) and now it's been cancelled in favor of the new Vulkan API."

(Quote from Ragnarok013)

I know you also said that DX11 is no longer in development either, but the fact is that DX11 is a full fledged program, not a beta, and is much more stable and reliable.

Did my post help you? Click "Grant XP"
Did my post solve your issue? Click "Accept As Solution"

I do not work for EA. I am just a gamer helping fellow gamers.

See you on the Battlefield!!!

Multi-Platform Elite Race: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4

I DO NOT ANSWER PMs. IF YOU NEED HELP, POST A NEW THREAD SO THE WHOLE COMMUNITY CAN GIVE INPUT, AND IF IT GETS SOLVED, EVERYONE CAN SEE THE SOLUTION.

Message 4 of 4 (277 Views)