Frostbite 2 engine and WWII

by oifvet101

Original Post

Frostbite 2 engine and WWII

★★★ Newbie

I know that there have been a lot of games over the years in the WWII era, but many of them failed to accomplish what has been accomplished with BF3. Now I am a retired infantry soldier from the modern era of combat (Multiple tours in Iraq with the 101st Airborne Division) so the modern warfare games hold very little interest for me; the been there done that mentality. I am currently a history major with a focus on WWII and I love the WWII era games and I miss them a lot. There was hope with Red Orchestra for something different in the genre, but it failed miserably to live up to its hype.

The point of all of this is that with BF3 and the frostbite 2 engine we have seen what a real battlefield can become in modern gaming so why not do a WWII reboot based off the same engine. Call of Duty:World at War was great but lacked mortars etc, and with the FB2 engine we could have a really immersive WWII experience. The game could expand greatly on everything ever offered in the WWII genre with al allied factions and equipment (US,British, Russia, et al) and both axis factions (Germany, and Japan) with equipment (M4 Shermans, PZ3 and 4, T34/85, Hellcats, IS and KV series armor, and weapons that were actually used). Add to this the possibility of stationary artillery and AT guns that could be manned like many of the stationary AA guns used in BF3 and you get a truly unique WWII Experience. Additionally maps could be done for all theaters of operation (Europe, Russian front, Africa, Italy, and Pacific Islands) which is something never done on any WWII FPS game to date. 

The amount of possibilities for a terrific FPS based in the WWII Era using the FB2 engine are tremendous to say the least, and lets face it, no one else is doing it anymore, everything is modern this and modern that. To be honest, Vietnam would be terrific as well. The thing I like is that the good authentic WWII era shooters are such a great way for the younger generations to get a glimpse of history and possibly garner some interest in actual study. There are a ton of military tactical clans for the PC platform who love the WWII genre as many of us are older and more experienced gamers. Additional there are tons of photos from which to glean information from for maps based on actual battle fronts across the various theaters of operation that would be terrific on the FB2 engine with its size and depth of map possibilities.

I live in Utah and attend Utah State University and would love to help gather data and lend support to an authentic WWII shooter. Many of the game modes used in BF3 would also fit very well with the WWII genre. Please, please, PLEASE think about this idea and its many possibilities.

Message 1 of 1 (194 Views)