Re: Sims 3 not working on windows 11

by Jeninna

Original Post

Sims 3 not working on windows 11

★ Novice

I just got a new computer and in getting it set up I'm having serious issues. In short, I can't get the Sims 3 working correctly. Its a Windows 11 computer so while I've seen and tried the trouble shooting from the Windows 10 threads I'm hoping there is a new solution I haven't tried yet. 

I started with the endless loop of open through The Sims 3 Launcher and EA Play's Sims 3 page opens. Click play on EA Play and the Sims 3 launcher opens. Nothing worked to fix that I tried:

- installed DX 9

- Installed Net 3.5 

- tried clean Boot

None worked. I contacts EA help and they just told me the same solutions or that Windows 11 was a known issue and they were 'working on it'. The Sims 4 works perfectly on my new computer so I'm worried this is like Windows 8 and the Sims Medieval where they fixed The Sims 3 in no time and never did fix the Sims Medieval. I still prefer Sims 3 to Sims 4 so I'd really like to be able to keep playing.

I found a way to get the Sims 3 to launch by going into Task Manager and having the launcher start the game using only 1 CPU. But its still broken.  Although I transferred all my saves, sims and content nothing shows up. I can't log into my Sims 3 account either and the launcher doesn't show any of the store content. I started a new game and saved it so that I could at least find where the files are but that save doesn't show up in my saves folder and I can't actually find the save file for that game anywhere. I'm also noticing the sims 3 store seems to be broken as I can't go into my purchase history and just download everything that way. 

So at this point I'm at a lose. I can open the game but it doesn't seem to be making files on my computer so I can't add in my saves and the store content. Any suggestions on what to try?

Message 471 of 1,349 (487 Views)

Re: Sims 3 crashing after launcher

@Shann898  If you can't get the script to work again, use one of the other approaches in the accepted solution on page one.

@Loulounounette  You do have an affected processor, according to both the model number and the errors in your dxdiag.  If you're not sure how to run the PowerShell script, the accepted solution on page one has a link to a video describing the Task Manager method, and I think earlier in the video, the host also explains the PowerShell method.  Either way, you can try another option if the first one you choose doesn't work.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 472 of 1,349 (518 Views)

@Jeninna  Please post a screenshot of the folder that contains the saves and other content you transferred over.  Please also right-click on that folder and select Properties > General, then write out the file path you see.  You can write [username] instead of your actual username, but please leave the rest of the file path intact.

Please also list the default location of Documents for this Windows account.  Hit Windows key-R and enter this in the run box:

%userprofile%\Documents

This will open the default Documents folder, whatever Windows has decided it is.  You can see the full file path in the address bar, and again please write out the exact file path, aside from your username if you don't want to share it.  But do let me know if the username is NOT the one associated with your user account on this computer.

Message 473 of 1,349 (474 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you - I just managed to find a solution. I realized that I had no saves for Sims 4 either which sent me looking for the files. I replaced the Sims 3 file with my old one and things seem to be working. The path that worked was:

This PC > Windows (CStandard smile > Users > Jeninna > Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 3 

That said, I still have to open the launcher, go into Task Manager, launch with only 1 CPU and then start it every single time. So at least I can still play I just wish there was an easier solution!

Message 474 of 1,349 (469 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't open: Alder Lake (Intel 12th-gen) CPU

★★★ Novice

Hello, I've just tried to play TS3, but I'm having the same issue. I've built my new computer a year ago now, with a 12th gen i5. Just curious as to where the TS3.exe file is, so I can attempt the patch. Thanks for any help!

Message 475 of 1,349 (513 Views)

@Jeninna  There are a couple other workarounds for the issue in the accepted solution of this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-4-DisplayName-Field-Missing/m-p/12109686#M240915

The patch created by Lazy Duchess works quite well, with the only caveats being that you need to apply it to the correct .exe, which is TS3.exe (no W) in your case; and that if you repair or reinstall the game, you'll need to run the patch again.

Message 476 of 1,349 (466 Views)

★ Novice

Hi Puzzlezaddict, that sounds great as I would love a single solution.  Is that the link you meant to send though? I don't see anything by Lazy Duchess in it.

Message 477 of 1,349 (462 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't open: Alder Lake (Intel 12th-gen) CPU

[ Edited ]

@Emperor_ivang36  The .exe is in ...\The Sims 3\Game\Bin, wherever you've installed the game.  If you didn't change the default location, it'll be one of these:

Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Please keep in mind that you'll need to modify TS3.exe if you installed the game through Origin or the EA App, or if you have a disc install but need to launch through one of these apps.  If you have a disc install but do NOT need to use Origin, or you have a Steam instal, the correct .exe is TS3W.exe, with the W.

Message 478 of 1,349 (507 Views)

@Jeninna  No, sorry, it's not, I swear I told my computer to copy the link.  But it didn't, because... probably user error.  Anyway, here you go:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-Alder-Lake-Intel-12th-gen-CPU/m-p/11...

Message 479 of 1,349 (456 Views)

★ Novice

It happens to all of us. 

Interestingly, that patch does work but its less efficient than the Task Manager CPU limiting fix. Its much slower to start and took a lot longer to close. To be fair I didn't actually play as I was doing a test run so maybe it will help in game as well. Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate getting this sorted so that I'll be able to continue playing.

Message 480 of 1,349 (450 Views)