Sims 3 does not open on a new PC - neither from Origin or Disc

by Catyestrella

Original Post

Re: Sims 3 does not open on a new PC - neither from Origin or Disc

★ Apprentice

I may not have installed it properly, I hope the dxdiag will tell you if I did.

Message 21 of 36 (664 Views)

@Catyestrella  Yes, the dxdiag shows that you still have the old graphics driver, the one that I think is the issue here.  Please try again to install the new driver, and if you have any trouble, let me know where in the process.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 22 of 36 (648 Views)

★ Apprentice

It's pretty late so I won't try to install it tonight, but I remember that when I tried the automatic install, it showed an error message, although it did not state it was because of compatibility; it just said there was an error during the installing process.

Message 23 of 36 (644 Views)

@Catyestrella  Yeah, I thought you'd probably have to force-install the driver, but I mentioned the automatic route because it's so much easier.  Let me know how the manual method goes.

Message 24 of 36 (633 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm very very very sorry for the late reply, I got caught by work...

I re-tried installing the new driver, the game still did not start. Even though it said the driver installation was a success, I'm still not sure it got installed proprely.

(I attached the latest dxdiag to the message)

Message 25 of 36 (457 Views)

@Catyestrella  Your dxdiag shows that the old Acer graphics driver is still installed.  I'm not sure exactly why, but we can put that aside for the moment and come back to it later if necessary.  Instead, try uninstalling and reinstalling .NET Framework 3.5.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "appwiz.cpl" without quotes, then click "Turn Windows features on or off."  Uncheck the box next to .NET 3.5, let it uninstall, and restart your computer.  Then repeat the process, except now check the box to let .NET 3.5 reinstall, then restart.

Message 26 of 36 (437 Views)

★ Apprentice

I tried, and the game still did not start.

Message 27 of 36 (430 Views)

@Catyestrella  Okay, let's see if we can get an Intel driver installed.  First, download a copy of the newest Intel driver—the regular, not the beta—here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/212330/intel-pentium-silver-n6000-processor-4m-...

As a backup, download a fresh copy of the Acer graphics driver, labeled VGA driver (UMA), here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8838?b=1

Next, use Display Driver Uninstaller to cleanly remove the Acer driver, as described in this guide:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

When you get to the end, you can try installing the Intel driver (NOT the Acer driver) while still offline.  If it fails, please once again try the method of manually installing the Intel driver that I explained in this other thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/sims-3-not-launching-on-windows-10-acer-notebook/m-p/1...

I cannot stress this enough, you need to be offline the entire time you're doing this.  If your computer has an internet connection, Acer software or Windows itself may automatically download the driver you're trying to avoid, the one we think isn't working with Sims 3.  After you install the Intel driver and before you go back online, please run a new dxdiag so I can see whether the Intel driver installed properly.  You'll obviously need to be online to post it, but I want to see the results before that.

If you can't install the Intel driver, installing the one from Acer is fine.

Message 28 of 36 (400 Views)

★ Apprentice

I followed all the steps, I attached the DxDiag to the message. I also tried the game while still offline and it did not start.

Message 29 of 36 (377 Views)

★ Apprentice

By the way, I don't know if this could help, but I tried the Sims 2 and it works perfectly, yet the Sims Medieval does not, but unlike Sims 3, it remains working in the background.

Message 30 of 36 (370 Views)