Sims 3 launcher won't open

by Kiarah001

Original Post

Re: Sims 3 Not Launching

★★★ Newbie

When I try to download directX, it asks me where I want to save it to?

Message 61 of 431 (4,096 Views)

@Valentinesc  Pick whatever location you want, for example your desktop.  It doesn't matter.  You're downloading an installer, which you'll then run to install DX9 itself.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 62 of 431 (4,861 Views)

Re: sims 3 not launching

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I am having a similar problem. I have tried a lot of fixes, including reinstalling the DirectX 9, but nothing has worked. I am technologically inept though so I am a little worried that I might have done it wrong? I don't know, but I have done the DxDiag thing, so I will add that here. If you are able to help me I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Message 63 of 431 (4,993 Views)

The Sims 3 won't launch

★★ Novice

I recently bought a new laptop, specifically to play games on. I installed and can play The Sims 4 just fine, no problems there whatsoever. The Sims 3 on the other hand, didn't go so well. The Sims 3 base game and packs installed with no problems. But when I tried to launch the game, The Sims 3's launch screen didn't appear, which was kind of strange since it ran well on my last laptop, which was also a Windows 10 laptop. I read other peoples' problems running The Sims 3 on their Windows 10 computers, and I did try to open the game as administrator, I got the same result; nothing. I also tried to open the game using Window XP 2 service pack, again, nothing happened. Is there anything I need to download that The Sims 3 needs to run?

My laptop's specs are:

Intel Core i5-10300H

8GB RAM

512GB SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti

Message 64 of 431 (4,985 Views)

★★★ Novice

The exact same thing is happening to me! I have no idea in how to fix it. Plus I'm not super techy either. Sims 4 is working like a dream but sims 3 just won't even lunch. I click on it and its just opens Orgin. My head is gone. I could actually cry I'm that frustrated. If you or anyone knows how to fix this problem. Pls let me know. I'm getting quite close to through this brand new laptop at a wall. (LAPTOP IS WINDOWS 10) I've also attached a 'DxDiag' file. All help would be greatly apprenticed. Thank you!

Message 65 of 431 (4,978 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried that. It extracted to my temp folder, I restarted my computer, and it still won't open. Is another installer supposed to open?

Here's the .dxdiag

Message 66 of 431 (4,839 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 won't launch

@HexManiac_Simmer  Please try reinstalling DirectX9.  You don't need to uninstall anything; just download the installer from Microsoft and run it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Restart your computer afterwards and before trying to play.

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 67 of 431 (6,037 Views)

[ Edited ]

@3lle9  Your dxdiag shows the same error as everyone else's, so please try reinstalling DirectX 9.  You don't need to uninstall anything; just download the installer from Microsoft, run it, and restart your computer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8109

@KTuckwell  Your dxdiag lists the same errors too, and installing DX9 should have fixed the problem.  Just to make sure, did you actually run the installer, not just download the files?  If you're not sure, you can try again; you should see the usual prompts you get when installing, e.g. "Do you want this application to make changes to your device?" and a user agreement.  Be sure to restart your computer after installing and before trying to play.

If that doesn't help, please look for new errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R, enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.  Today is all the way on the right.

Look for any errors that happened after you installed DX9 (this time around), and if you see one, right-click on its name, select "View technical details," copy the information, and paste it into a reply here.  If you don't see anything new, check back in an hour or two.

Message 68 of 431 (6,053 Views)

@suiteimpact  You need to run the extracted installer.  The files themselves won't do anything until you've installed them.

And yes, your dxdiag has the same error as everyone else affected.

Message 69 of 431 (4,836 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, thank you so much for your advice. I really do appreciate it. I did do everything that you have suggested. I re-downloaded and ran DirectX 9. However, nothing has worked unfortunately. I did do the 'chart and errors' thing. I'm not 100% sure that I did it right though. I have attracted a screenshot showing what came up. I don't understand any of it to be honest. 

Message 70 of 431 (6,148 Views)