Re: Good laptop for Sims 3+expansion packs

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

@younglor  That laptop should be able to handle most expansion packs together on a mix of high and ultra graphics settings.  If you run all 11 EPs, you might see some small issues, particularly with pets or inclement weather (rain, snow, hail); the graphics chip in this laptop is right on the edge of what can handle all Sims 3 features without any problems.

I can't really tell you exactly how things would play out because in this category, a lot depends on the laptop's build quality and its internal settings, for example how much power the chip is allowed to draw.  And I've only seen a few reports of people playing on this kind of hardware.  So as to whether you'd be fine running Pets and Seasons, I would just be guessing, but eerything else should be fine.

I do want to point out that you could get a gaming laptop for the same price, one that shouldn't have any trouble with Sims 3 at all.  If you'd like to see a few examples, feel free to ask.  But if you'd rather stick with a non-gaming laptop, look for one with an i7-1165G7 processor: its graphics chip has 20% more compute cores and performs somewhat better.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 21 of 27 (369 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice
  • Hi thank u for your insight I also am looking into the gaming laptops I want ultra high settings and graphics for let’s plays . A bunch of mods and all the expansion packs Budget is 500-900 is this a good laptop?  I’m stuck between this and Lenova I know that the sims only uses like 2.9 of ram https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086KJBKDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_SS2VW4KVQ7ZTA0A2DK94. But the most important is the space for my game and the mods and the graphics 
Message 22 of 27 (364 Views)

@younglor  The graphics card in this laptop is much faster than the one in the laptop you linked previously; it should have no trouble with ultra settings, minus the two (water and high-detail lots) that need to be disabled to keep the game engine from being overloaded.  The only hesitation I might have is that buying from a third-party seller on Amazon doesn't always go well, but if you have Prime, you have good protection on that front.

Since you're here though, I found a couple other options worth mentioning:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-IPS-Type-i5-10300H-Keyboard-FX706LI-RS53/dp/B08ZLFLF7L

https://www.walmart.com/ip/797151449

https://www.newegg.com/phantom-black-lenovo-legion-5-15imh05h-81y600p3cf-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E...

The 1650 ti is a little faster than the regular 1650, the 3050 is somewhat faster than that, and the 1660 ti is faster than the 3050.  The build quality of the Asus models is similar to the Acer's; the Legion is better than the others.  But they should all be more than fine, and all significantly better than any laptop with only integrated graphics.

Message 23 of 27 (359 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Thank u for the seller update yeah I am sticking with buying on other sites
Message 24 of 27 (353 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Have you ever purchased a laptop from Newegg ?
Message 25 of 27 (348 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict When it says shipped from neweegg it doesn’t mean a third party ?
Message 26 of 27 (346 Views)

@younglor  Sold by Newegg/shipped by Newegg means the same thing as sold by Amazon/shipped by Amazon: Newegg itself is the seller, there's no third party involved.

I've never bought a laptop from Newegg, but I have bought several computer components, as have a couple of my friends.  The biggest complaint I've had is that something took over a week to get here because it sat in a distribution center for four or five days waiting to be transferred from one delivery service to another.  That's certainly sloppy, but it's not a reason to avoid the website.

Newegg support is... less than stellar, but your laptop would come with a warranty from Lenovo, so it's not a huge deal.

Message 27 of 27 (332 Views)