Error 16 Keeps Happening

by SummerSloane

Original Post

Re: Error 16 Keeps Happening

@SummerSloane  As a test, please try playing in a new admin Windows account: I'd like to know whether this is an issue with your current account's Documents folder or something else.  Make it a local account, as in, don't sign into Microsoft, and don't sync with any other services you normally use.  You'll be able to sign into Origin and shouldn't need to redownload anything.  Let me know whether you still get the error.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 17 (665 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I’m so aware that you answer people all the time, but you actually helped me on another issue (where my sims 3 would crash on launch) and I have already switched to a new admin account lol! All of my mods were added in, and it usually saves and plays normally until I go into CAS.
Message 12 of 17 (650 Views)

@SummerSloane  Sorry about that; I usually remember a username but not always when the board is busy (or I'm busy).  Just so I have my own facts straight, do you get the Error 16 if you play a new save in a clean Sims 3 user folder that has never seen mods or custom content at all?  What language is Windows using, and have you ever used special characters in the account name or in the names of your saves?

Message 13 of 17 (634 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi! I’m so sorry I haven’t responded - honestly this error code 16 thing has become a Russian roulette for me. Sometimes, I get the error code, sometimes I don’t. To answer your question, I used to use underscores in my saves, but tried not using any special characters to no luck. I’ve recently tried starting a new save, and immediately after I get out of CAS and try to save, I get the error. Im so sad because I love this game and don’t know why this is happening!

Message 14 of 17 (468 Views)

@SummerSloane  I don't know why this is happening either, but I still have a couple of ideas.  First of all, just to be totally clear, do you ever get an Error 16 when playing with no mods at all?  Is OneDrive currently syncing the contents of Documents?  Do you use a third-party antivirus, and if so, which one?

Message 15 of 17 (453 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I do get an Error 16 when I have mods in. OneDrive is not syncing the contents of documents. I also use a third-party antivirus, both CleanMy PC and I use Smart Game Booster.

Message 16 of 17 (391 Views)

@SummerSloane  CleanMyPC isn't an antivirus, and neither is Smart Game Booster.  Still, I'd suggest trying to play with both of them disabled, particularly CleanMyPC.  Apps like this can occasionally delete essential system files and often delete data you'd prefer to keep because it's flagged as redundant.  (Imagine you made a backup copy of your favorite Sims 3 save only for the cleaner app to remove it for being a duplicate.)

I'd also test without mods, at least at first.  If everything is normal, you can add back any NRaas mods you use and test again, then add back a few others if you have any and see what happens.

Message 17 of 17 (378 Views)