Error 16 Keeps Happening

by SummerSloane

Original Post

Error 16 Keeps Happening

★★★★★ Novice

Hi! Hope you can help.

so I first started getting error 16 codes for a while now. I was getting it with one family that only had three generations. After a bunch of trial and errors, I ended up copying the family and restarting the world (deleting all saves and placing the family in a new save). Now, I can’t save the save at all, even though the wold is empty apart from the family. Please help!!

Message 1 of 17 (1,136 Views)

Re: Error 16 Keeps Happening

@SummerSloane  Error 16 usually means that a save is too large, generally over 4 GB.  How large was your old save?  There are ways to cut down the size, for example Kuree Save Cleaner.  But if you've deleted the save entirely, I guess that's a moot point.

For now, what world are you playing in, and are any of the sims in the household you saved also in the world?  For example, maybe your sims married into a townie family and there are two Mortimer Goths running around.

If that's not the issue, try playing the household in a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launch to spawn a clean folder, and copy the Library folder (but nothing else yet) from the old Sims 3 folder to the new one.  When you load a new save, your household will be available to place, although you'll need to exit the tutorial first.  (Just click the three dots in the lower-left corner of your screen and select Edit Town, then go back to the initial game setup.)  Place the household, let the game clock run for a few sim-minutes, and then try to save.

If this doesn't work, quit the game to desktop, then start another new save, but this time, don't place your existing household, just pick a random one and see whether you can save your progress.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 17 (1,123 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. 

not really a moot point because it is still happening, even with an empty world!

the save is only 68.3 MB, so again super confused why I’m getting this error code.

I am currently using Willapa Valley by 99simsonthewall. It’s a large world, but unpopulated  and 62.21 MB.

in my previous save, I had the world populated by nrass. I am also using nraas to populate the new save, however made sure sims would not generate from the current household.

I’ll try using Kure Save Cleaner and update you if I continue to get issues.

Message 3 of 17 (1,067 Views)

@SummerSloane  Error 16 should definitely not happen in a new save.  Are you using OneDrive or any other service that syncs the contents of Documents?  Are you trying to add special characters to the save name, or are there any special characters (anything not Roman alphabet A to Z or Arabic numerals 0 to 9) in the username attached to this Windows account?

Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 4 of 17 (1,054 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Oh! I realized i do have OneDrive on that is syncing the files. I also save my files as (world)_(day), so for example: willapa valley_sun. also added are my dxdiag files. 

Message 5 of 17 (1,044 Views)

@SummerSloane  First, please update your computer's graphics driver.  You can find the newest version offered by Dell for your laptop here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5570-laptop/drivers

It's listed as "Intel UHD Graphics Driver" and dated August 31, 2021, which makes it a bit old but newer than your current one, and critically, newer than Windows 11.  Restart your computer after installing and before doing anything else.

Please also tell OneDrive not to sync the contents of Documents:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98...

You may first need to pause syncing or cancel the current sync:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/how-to-cancel-or-stop-sync-in-onedrive-4885c27e-3d89-4d69...

Once you've done this, restart your computer again and try to play.  Just to be thorough, name your first save "test" or something similarly simple, and if that works, you can try a name in the format you typically use.

Message 6 of 17 (1,037 Views)

★★★ Novice

hello, I'm having the error code 16 with saving also I have tried everything ..

Message 7 of 17 (1,024 Views)

★★★ Novice

here is my dx -file..

Message 8 of 17 (1,021 Views)

@mrgothicfinn  Did you try disabling OneDrive, as described in the post immediately above yours?

If that doesn't or didn't help, please create a new admin Windows account and try playing in that.  Make it a local account, as in, don't sign into Microsoft, and don't sync with any other services you normally use.  You'll be able to sign into Origin (if you play through Origin) and shouldn't need to redownload the game, but your saves and other user content won't be available.  That can be addressed later; for now, just start a new save and let me know whether you get another Error 16.

Message 9 of 17 (1,011 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi, sorry this was from so long ago, but one drive is finally disabled. However? I’m still getting error 16s even when I have a new family.

Message 10 of 17 (821 Views)