You can't open the origin application because someone else is using it

by Elechick

Original Post

Re: [MAC] you can't open the origin application because someone else is using it

★★★★★ Newbie

Delete all Origin files in Finder. Google "Origin Reset tool," and click the link to download it. Run it on your computer and allow it to reset the Origin app. Reset your computer. Download Origin again. Voila, it worked for me!

Message 21 of 41 (6,314 Views)

Re: [MAC] you can't open the origin application because someone else is using it

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

This should solve your problem:

1. Open Activity Monitor
    • How to open:   Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor
  2. Search for: origin
    • (The search bar should be in the top right corner)
    • After searching, you should see something called OriginClient
  3. Click OriginClient

4. Look for a little x button (usually in the top left), and click it to 'Force Quit' the running OriginClient process

5. Close the Activity Monitor window and you should now be free to open Origin the way that you usually do

Please don't mess around with ActivityMonitor by force-quitting random things if you don't know what you're doing. For simple things like closing the OriginClient, or force-quitting GoogleChrome when it's not responding, this is a harmless and a simple procedure. Just note some processes are running for a reason, and your operating system is relying on them - so try not to get carried away. Enjoy

Message 22 of 41 (44,009 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same here!!

Message 23 of 41 (6,094 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@tarkey61 thanks! Exact same thing happened to me yesterday...trying restart now Standard smile
Message 24 of 41 (6,065 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@ZiggyZazza Yes! I was experiencing the exact issue people are describing here and this completely fixed it! Thank you!
Message 25 of 41 (6,002 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@carolion18 Happy it worked out for you!

Message 26 of 41 (5,992 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@ZiggyZazza THANK YOU SO MUCH SAVED MY LIFE
Message 27 of 41 (5,943 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@ZiggyZazza Yes this happened to me and i did what you said and it helped. Thank you!
Message 28 of 41 (5,885 Views)

★ Novice

I searched for the same issue and THANK YOU SO MUCH! It worked for me! thank you for learning me the tip, in case something similar happens to another app, I'll make sure to open Activity Monitor!

Message 29 of 41 (5,797 Views)

★ Novice

You're awesome! Fixed the problem.

Message 30 of 41 (5,742 Views)