by starriski

Original Post

Re: Issues with creating a symlink on mac

[ Edited ]

@faithalex22 

Yep, this

ln -s /Volumes/ALEX/Electronic\ Arts ~/Documents/

looks good.

I suspect the problem is with your iCloud still being active, you can see this in the search results from Terminal you posted. When you disable iCloud Drive it archives the folder but yours isn't showing as archived. Info here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Saves-CC-Mods-or-Library-items-disappeared...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 70 of 423 (1,012 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I got it figured out!  Thank you for your help!

Message 71 of 423 (1,276 Views)

@faithalex22

Great! What was it? It helps anyone reading this who may experience the same stumbling block Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 72 of 423 (1,266 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I had to keep the EA folder in my documents instead of deleting it when the copy was made to my external hard drive because I didn’t have my view as a “ list “ I was not able to view the file size and see it was smaller than the one on my external.

Message 73 of 423 (1,262 Views)

@faithalex22 

Ah, you mean the alias with the little arrow? Yes, that is created when the symlink is successfully executed Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 74 of 423 (1,250 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes! I had it shown by the symbol and not how much space the actual file was.

Message 75 of 423 (1,244 Views)

Re: Moving mods to external hard drive

★ Novice
@AirJordansGirl I'm having the same problem except I have a Mac and there are like literally no videos that help me solve this
Message 76 of 423 (1,429 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@starriski The Mac OS also has symbolic link. What symbolic link does is put an invisible file in the source folder. When the OS (operating system) finds this invisible file it redirects to where the folder really is. 2 problems - 1 - someone deletes the source folder and breaks the link. 2 - usb drives get reassigned when certain conditions exist and that will break the link. When a computer boots it will assign drive designations to usb devices as they are discovered. If something changes the order of discovery at boot your usb device gets a different designation then it had before. Symbolic link works but is not the best solution...

Message 77 of 423 (1,405 Views)

@starriski 

A video isn't really the best way to learn how to create a symlink. You can read these instructions which involve copying/pasting and editing to suit your setup - https://bluebellflora.com/saving-your-sims-4-folder-to-an-external-drive/

The assigned drives and problems unplugging and plugging in drives that @roberta591 refers to is only relevant to Windows, not macOS. There are also no invisible files or folders. After successfully creating a symlink to point to the external drive you will have a folder called Electronic Arts in the Documents folder on your Mac but it will be an alias with a little arrow in the corner showing this.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 78 of 423 (1,380 Views)

★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I understand things better visually, but thank you!
Message 79 of 423 (1,322 Views)