My Sims 4 game won't open

by Lord-of-Trash101

Original Post

Re: My Sims 4 game won't open

@luvvCT

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

Can you uninstall the Sims 4, reset Origin then download and install the game again. Remove any Sims 4 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts too.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 41 of 216 (4,732 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I went ahead and posted a screenshot.

Thank you so much for replying to me. I don't want to be annoying, seems like you are my last hope. 😕

Message 42 of 216 (4,718 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've run the game with all the game packs, stuff packs, and expansions on this device. Which leads me to believe it isn't my specs. I've restored my computer. I consider my self to be fairly well versed when it comes to most technology, but I'm bewildered. I've reinstalled, reset, repaired, and erased as much as I can. I have no docs in my icloud. AND NO CC OR MODS. It's crazy. EA doesn't seem too interested in finding a solution for me. They have offered to refund me for "Cats and Dogs" because after the November 2017 update I have not been able to play normally. I have no glitching or lagging while playing. It has altogether stopped opening/responding. Last night after I sent you a few messages (mention of your screen name on these forums) I got it to open. I've been doing the following but I have since had the same issues. I got my game to open (base only), I made a sim and saved a game (creating all the files that were missing from my new The Sims 4 folder), I closed the game and checked for the files (all was well), I tried to reopen and again nothing (icon bounces and the rainbow spinner cursor shows then as soon as I move the cursor it turns back into an arrow, finally I'm forced to "force stop" the sims program. I then downloaded everything back except Cats and Dogs, City Life, Get Together, and Get to Work. These are things I can play without. I want them in the game but I'll sacrifice just to play with more items and clothing. I reset origin. I shut down my computer and for the 100th time I repaired my drives (all that is available to me). The reason I did this order of things is because that is what helped me open the base game (to my knowledge, since I really can't be sure what the issue is) At this point I feel like becoming a professional troubleshooter is my calling, ha!

Thanks for your time and help.

A loyal Sims Player since 2001

P.S. I get the feeling this is all on Origin malfunctioning. This client has been a nightmare since the beginning in more ways than one. 

Message 43 of 216 (4,714 Views)

@luvvCT

I shouldn't think it is your Mac as there has been an increase in people not able to play since installing C&D or the patch.

Did you disable Origin to see if that helped?

Tried a second user account on your Mac?

Do you use any clean up apps that apparently get rid of unwanted files and speed up your computer, but in reality all they do is destabilise the OS and remove files they shouldn't?

Any antivirus?

Any apps running on start up on your Mac?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 44 of 216 (4,705 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey

Thanks I hate thinking it's my computer. I won't be getting a new one anytime soon.

I have disabled origin in game. No change.

I tried a new user. No change

I do have Avira but I don't think it's doing any thing to the game. I had it check for a virus recently. It's the free version of the program so I'm pretty sure it doesn't do much without my direction.

I have no clean up apps.

Apps that run on start up are Flux (an app that adjusts my laptops lighting based on time of day)

and Origin.

I'm downloading the game on an identical macbook pro. I'll tell you what happens on that one when it's done.

Thank you for your time.

Message 45 of 216 (4,690 Views)

@luvvCT

I doubt Flux is affecting it but did you also run it on the new user account? And Avira? Have you fully disabled them both to see if it makes a difference?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 46 of 216 (4,677 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So now I'm back to thinking it's my laptop. My boyfriend and I have the same MacBook with the same specs. I downloaded the game and the stuff pack, game packs, and a select few expansion packs onto his last night. His MacBook is working flawlessly. I just tried disabling the flux and Avira program. I'll have to try a few more times but once I clicked the option to disable real-time protection, the game opened. It was not responding to my knowledge and now it just opened while I was typing this. I'll let you know if anything changes. I was considering adding a few of the expansions back. Or all of them.

Message 47 of 216 (4,671 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Okay so I was under the impression that my content wasn't fully downloaded but I guess at some point last night Origin began downloading the things I was trying to leave out. The game is open with everything on it. If anything changes I'll let you know.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME!!

You are a simsaver!! 😍

P.S. I feel silly for not thinking about the anti-virus program being the issue. I always had flux disabled for The Sims 4. Oh well, I'm very happy to be able to play my game again!!

Message 48 of 216 (4,666 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi  Im having similar problems. whenever i click on to the desktop sims it loads and then stops and loads nothing and the same happens when i click on origin. I have also tried dragging the sims file from my documents, but that just loaded more random files. Should i try updating my game? If i should how do i do it and will it delete my families? thankyou.

Message 49 of 216 (4,622 Views)

EA app Team
Hi @kaylaretter,

Families or save games aren't deleted when you update your game Standard smile

To update, right click on The Sims 4 game in your Origin Game Library and select the option to check for updates. If there's any update available, Origin will install it.

What do you mean by 'dragging the sims file from my documents loaded more random files'? Did the game open when you tried this?

Welcome to Answers HQ! Standard smile
-Mai
Message 50 of 216 (4,592 Views)