❗️ [WORKAROUND] Pointer clicks off-target on Macs with display camera notch

by marounn_

Original Post

Resolution/UI issues with 2021 16" MacBook Pro

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
PlatformMac (specific to 2021 16" Macbook Pro)
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.84.197.1230
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Snowy Escape, Journey to Batuu, Spa Day, Fitness
Steps: This occurs throughout the game, including before loading a save.
What happens when the bug occurs? While in native resolution, 3456x2234, the cursor doesn't line up with the UI (ie., the space where buttons highlight and can be clicked doesn't match where they appear on the screen.) Toggling "Retina Display" doesn't affect the issue. I think I actually know what's going on- it appears related to the notch portion of the top of the display. In 3456x2160 the cursor stops at the bottom of the notch and the issue doesn't occur, where in the native 3456x2234 the cursor can go all the way to the top (past the portion of the screen the game actually uses,) and doesn't line up with the UI. Staying in the slightly cut off resolution works okay as a workaround, but then frustratingly that affects the desktop and other fullscreen applications. Also worth noting that the game on this display defaults to a scaled 2560x1600. (TBH if it just defaulted to 3456x2160 I probably wouldn't have ever noticed the issue.)
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Turning off Mods/Scripts or removing everything from the mods folder have no effect
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No, this has been an issue since I got this computer.

Message 41 of 116 (1,519 Views)

Re: Resolution/UI issues with 2021 16" MacBook Pro

Hero
@Psarae I merged your report with the main thread on this issue. Please see workaround on page 1

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 42 of 116 (1,464 Views)

Buttons on Sims 4 Macbook not working

★★★ Newbie

Hey there,

I'm playing Sims 4 on my Macbook Pro - Monterey version and I'm unable to directly click on buttons. If it allows me to click, my mouse has to be sort of below the actual button. However, more often than not, it does not allow me to click. I have one expansion pack which is City Living. 

I've tried repairing it and even uninstalling and reinstalling origin and Sims 4 itself but nothing seems to be working.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.  

Message 43 of 116 (1,247 Views)

Re: Buttons on Sims 4 Macbook not working

@zuz17zu

Do you have a M1 14” or 16” Mac with a camera notch in the display?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 44 of 116 (1,229 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It's a 14" with a camera notch. 

Message 45 of 116 (1,221 Views)

@zuz17zu

Merged. See the solution on page 1.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 46 of 116 (1,205 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It worked! Thank you so much. Large smile

Message 47 of 116 (1,195 Views)

Screen works different from the game

★★ Newbie

My screen works different from the games buttons. So when I want to press a button in the game, I have to go further down to actually click the button, even tho it's right bellow the button. Im playing on a 14" MacBook Pro, could that have anything to say? Can I do something about it? I never had that problem on my 13" MacBook Pro

Message 48 of 116 (1,168 Views)

Re: Screen works different from the game

@ThomsenogBaloo

Merged. See the solution on page 1.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 49 of 116 (1,146 Views)

Re: ❗️ [WORKAROUND] Pointer clicks off-target M1 Pro and M1 Max (camera notch)

★★ Novice

Hi! I couldn't find a proper solution on this forum yet, only workarounds. I just found that to solve this problem, you can set the resolution in full screen to 3.024x1.890. After doing this, my Sims interface worked perfectly again. Everything is clickable in the right place. This solution works on my MacBook Pro 14" with an M1 chip, I'm not sure about the 16" version. Hope this helps some folks Standard smile

Message 50 of 116 (850 Views)