🛠️ Creating a symlink in macOS to store the Sims 4 folder on an external drive

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: storing sims 4 and mods/cc in a hard drive

★★★ Newbie

is this safe?? will it damage my mac and its data?

Message 10 of 428 (4,867 Views)

Re: storing sims 4 and mods/cc in a hard drive

@i7kx8mtg9zmq

Depends how confident you are using Terminal and how good you are at following instructions. Can it damage your Mac? No. Can you damage data? Yes, if you run any kind of command that you shouldn't.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 11 of 428 (4,805 Views)

Moving mods and Sims 4 to external hard drive MAC

★★★★ Novice

Hi!

My Mac barely has no space left. Therefore, I need to move my Sims mods onto my external hard drive. I've understood that this also means I need to move the game itself. Can anyone give me instructions as to how I successfully move mods and Sims 4 onto an external hard drive on a MacBook?Standard smile

Message 12 of 428 (12,800 Views)

Re: Moving mods and Sims 4 to external hard drive MAC

@annakristineb97

You don't need to move the game as well although if you're running out of space it may not be a bad idea. To move the Sims 4 user folder you need to create a symlink. Instructions for both here:

Base game and packs - move the base game and Sims 4 Packs folder onto the external then change the game library location in Origin. You will probably have to do this too https://bluebellflora.com/2020/11/26/external-drive-not-showing-in-origin/

Storing the Sims 4 folder on an external drive - https://bluebellflora.com/saving-your-sims-4-folder-to-an-external-drive/

AHQSigImage.png
Message 13 of 428 (12,794 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you so much! I'm working on it right now, but I can't get past step 4 on the instructions. It says: "On the left menu click on Computer then double click on the ‘/‘ that appears next to a picture of your hard drive. You should see four folders – Applications, Library, System, Users". I don't see "Computer" anywhere. Is it equivalent to "Anna's MacBook Pro" which you can see in the photo?

Message 14 of 428 (12,687 Views)

@annakristineb97

Is that the window that comes up when you click to choose the location in Origin? It looks like they’ve updated it since I wrote the guide as your external drive is showing below Macintosh HD and Network. I can’t check my install at the moment but will see if they’ve updated it when I get a chance tomorrow Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 15 of 428 (12,664 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Oh, I see. Thank you so muchStandard smile

Message 16 of 428 (12,655 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi again! Have you been able to have a look at the changes yet?Standard smile

Message 17 of 428 (12,572 Views)

[ Edited ]

@annakristineb97 

Sorry!

I checked it and I had still had to apply the workaround. Your screenshot threw me because it shows a normal Finder window but the window that pops up in Origin looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 19.21.09.png

Edit - after a little testing with @puzzlezaddict it turns out that an older version of macOS shows the proper Finder window, not this ugly Origin version. Which macOS are you running? In the screenshot you posted it shows your external drive as the drive with the yellow icon so you should be able to choose that drive and not worry about the workaround instructions.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 18 of 428 (12,525 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for helping me out. I'll try again later today. I'm currently using macOS Mojave 10.14.6. I'm not able to update my MacBook until I move the Sims gameStandard smile

Message 19 of 428 (12,484 Views)