Massive input delay when turning at high speeds in F1 22 using a gamepad

by CapPeanut

Original Post

Massive input delay when turning at high speeds in F1 22 using a gamepad

★★★★ Apprentice

Developers can you PLEASE for the love of God give us the option to disable the atrocious input lag filter that is applied to controller users in F1 22? 

Whenever you are driving at high speeds, a delay starts to occur from when you physically move the thumbstick on your gamepad until the wheel actually turns in-game. This effectively means you have to turn into corners way before you reach them, making a track like Jeddah almost impossible to drive as I need to rapidly change direction at multible corners in quick succession. 

Can we please just have the option to drive with 1:1 input from our controllers, just like how it works for steering wheel users? This was never an issue in F1 2020.

Message 1 of 27 (7,407 Views)

Re: Massive input delay when turning at high speeds in F1 22 using a gamepad

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@CapPeanutMultiple bug reports have been made as early as of June/July, but sadly no response. It´s all been put under the "inconsistent forcefeedback-bug" rug, which is a completely different problem in itself. I´ve given up on controller being any competetive this game. Gotta hope for next game again

Message 2 of 27 (7,361 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes, I feel the same and I'm running on a PC with high fps/Hz and overclocked dualsense controller.

There are turns that you'll lose a lot of time to it, specially when you need to shift directions fast from left to right and right to left, on controller it takes longer to switch directions fast, Soo you either lift off the throttle a bit or take a worse line, either one loses you time.

What helps a lot is to reduce the maximum wheel rotation in your vibration settings. I use 220.

You can also reduce the default steering deadzone from 0.1 to 0. By going to the game folder, actionmaps and editing the file that corresponds to the controller you are using. This only works on PC of course.

Message 3 of 27 (7,355 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Also try different wheel rotation settings.  Like increasing the values.  In high speed turns the input lag your experiencing is because your adding to much steering angle to quickly so the game pad stability whatsit  will actively attempts to reduce the steering angle so you don’t crash.   

increasing the steering rotation will slow down and reduce the amount off steering  angle.  Making your steering  inputs smoother making it less likely the game will interrupt.  You do not and should not apply maximum left/right inputs when cornering especially in high speed esses.  

This will also help tyre temps and wear.  And will also let you use more power out off corners.

It’s trial and error until unfortunately as I use anything from 340(slow tracks) up to 440(For tracks like Spa)

Reducing steering rotation mainly  helps for slow tight chicanes.   

And if you have done so already reduce the default field of view in camera settings.  The correct value depends on size off your monitor and how far you sit from it..   Reducing it by ten is a good starting base.  Once you find the right setting braking and cornering for fast and slow corners. Won’t just be easier it can  make you seconds a lap faster

And Lastly if your playing on a console and using a tv.  Turn off every display setting that   Say low/med/high/auto  or says it adjusts in real time.   All these settings can increase lag/latency etc.   You want your TV set to game and only adjust the basic settings that use sliders brightness contrast colour and clarity.  So what you see on the screen is exactly want the developers designed:  And no doubt everyone as a smart tv. Look up how you can access your tv developer options and reduce or turn off background processes.   

Message 4 of 27 (7,310 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@ScarDuck14How can u recommend soo high maxium wheel rotation? It makes controller feel even more laggy/less responsive. Also changing it per track is not ideal, you don't want to be changing it all the time. Pick a trach, test it out and stick with it.

I did it for bahrain time trail and with 360º I struggle to get below 1:29 times. With lower maximum wheel rotation I can realiably do below 1:29 and it feels soo much better/sharper. The only reason I wouldn't recommend doing this is if you can't be smooth with your steering, 270º should be a good middle ground for most people

But then again, my background are fps games. This is my first F1 game, i still have a lot to learn i guess. 

Message 5 of 27 (7,276 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

I get zero lag from any off my  3 dual sense.  2 original and 1 new  updated pad. 

F1 teams change cars steering rack for  Monaco:  changing steering rotation on pad is similar.  For tracks that have tight corners such as Monaco, Hungary and Singapore I reduce rotation as the pad stability doodah is only a issue in high speed corners:   In high speed corners you only need your front wheels to turn a fraction.  Reducing wheel  rotation results it when you turn a fraction your front wheels turn faster and that’s when the game steps in.  Increasing wheel rotation means I can quickly move the stick max left and right. But the front wheels don’t go to full lock.  Thereby the game doesn’t need to interfere and therefore doesn’t reduce responsiveness 

Bahrain I use 340.  Bahrain has slow tight  and medium-high speed corners.  And gentle twisty bits.   Nothing like Silverstone, Spa Portimao or cota or imola or. Autria or even France.  

Bahrain has always been a track where padders  can give wheelers a run for their money.  Do t believe me? Look up Jarno opmeers you tube vid where he and the e-sports pad guy race eachother 

and as I said I said in previous increasing wheel rotation reduces front tyre temp issues. Which means I can increase pressures which increases steering responsiveness and reduces wear so I can . Also run inverted wings stiff arbs which gives a pointy car and  me all the rotation 

Message 6 of 27 (7,246 Views)

★★★ Novice

This problem is affecting a lot of wheel users too (eg Moza R9 wheel base, which gets configured as if it's a gamepad). A big part of the problem is what other games call "speed sensitive steering". If we had a slider to adjust speed sensitive steering, it would eliminate the problems for a massive number of different controllers.

Message 7 of 27 (7,093 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@ParadoximA I didn't know it affected some wheel users as well - that's horrible. I really hope the devs can at least acknowledge this issue.
Message 8 of 27 (7,073 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Kent  How has nothing been done to address this issue yet? Come on, this makes the game so frustrating to play on certain tracks... 

Message 9 of 27 (6,705 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_KentThis is utterly ridiculous...

Message 10 of 27 (6,515 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help