[Mac] SimCity and MacOS Catalina & newer

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Rif.: Simcity is not working on MacOS Catalina

★★ Novice

Interestingly enoungh Aspyr has already made an update and SimCity works on 64 bit systems now.

https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000214186-MacOS-Catalina-64-bit-32-bit-and-related-Qu...

And if EA hasn't made any moves in this regard so I'm assuming there will never be 64 bit SimCity on Origin. Should have bought it on Mac App Store where it works...

@BlackjackWidow solution is the only reasonable that will work with Origin I think.

Message 81 of 102 (3,540 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
This version is different and has some limitations, @DarthThomas17. Such as online options. You must buy SimCity (again) via this store.
Also, EA doesn't support that version.
No updated version exists for the operating system version 10.15.x and will be.
You can read more about it in @BlackjackWidow's first posted message, here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Mac-SimCity-and-MacOS-Catalina/m-p/8298578#M127940
If you want to play this game, then you will need different operating system.

Regards.
Message 82 of 102 (3,535 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes @RealSimmor0 I know. But getting it to work 64 bit, even if for single player only, would still be better than nothing. At least for macOS Catalina users. The fact is Apple announced that they will drop 32 bit support in Catalina before, and Mojave is still getting updates, so it's a viable option. Still, a shame EA won't strike a deal with Aspyr to get SimCity 64 bit work on latest macOS versions.

Message 83 of 102 (3,533 Views)

Sim City Not Downloading (MAC)

★★★ Newbie

Sim City won't install. Have tried deleting the Download Cache, Deleting the local file and re-downloading. I meet all the requirements...

Not sure why it's not working.. Help!

Message 84 of 102 (3,416 Views)

Re: Sim City Not Downloading (MAC)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @brycemaloney  - I merged your post with the master thread on this issue.  Apple dropped support for 32-bit games like SimCity, beginning with MacOS Catalina 10.15. There is more information in the first post in this thread, including some options for running 32-bit games after upgrading. 

Message 85 of 102 (3,394 Views)

Re: Sim City Not Downloading (MAC)

★★★★★ Expert
You don't meet the system requirements from this game when you're using version 11.0.x "Big Sur" or version 10.15.x "Catalina" of your operating system, @brycemaloney.
Both are "64 bits only" operating systems and don't have longer support to run 32-bit software.
This means you can't play games like Sim City (from 2013), The Sims 3, The Sims Medieval and Spore. With their expansions.
How to play them, see repeatedly given link by BlackjackWidow.

Regards.
Message 86 of 102 (3,383 Views)

Re: [Mac] SimCity and MacOS Catalina

Message 87 of 102 (2,813 Views)

When will sim city be 64 bit

★★★ Newbie

When will sim city be 64 bit and have support for macOS Big Sur?

Message 88 of 102 (2,759 Views)

Re: When will sim city be 64 bit

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi @lbrntley  -  I merged your post with the master thread on this subject. There have been no announced plans for changing SimCity. Please see the first post in this thread for more information, including some options for running 32-bit games after upgrading. 

Message 89 of 102 (2,736 Views)

Re: When will sim city be 64 bit

★ Novice

good question... I think they don't give a cheat for this game anymore...

Message 90 of 102 (2,502 Views)