[Mac] Mojave - Cursor & Display Resolution Problems

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Re: Cursor less accurate on macOS 10.14.4

★★ Novice

I am having this problem on my iMac too - since updating to Mojave 10.14.4. I managed to get into settings & uncheck full screen mode & change resolution & now it works but in a window in the middle of my screen that cannot be resized.

I also do not see anywhere to select borderless window.

Message 20 of 83 (4,720 Views)

★ Novice

10.14.4 (18E226)

I am also having this issue on my Imac 5k. Tech support never figured it out, and suggested reinstalling everything, that did not work. this is a bug for EA. From the main window to get to the settings i had to go half way across the screen to find the right invisible button spot.

EA Please fix. and while your at it its been six years you could update the game with an addon package to allow expanded world areas and different road types.

Message 21 of 83 (4,899 Views)

SimCity Mouse not working! (at any time)

★ Novice

Hi there. 

I just downloaded and installed SimCity. I am able to open it, but as seems like my mouse won't work.

The keyboard does work great, the mouse does react to movement but won't "click". 

Of course I restarted my computer, the game, the mouse etc. 

Cleared cache as well (on suggest of online chat help)

I feel like it might be a graphics card problem. 

I added a picture of my system. I think it's good enough, but since it won't work.. 

Please help me, otherwise I can not play at all. Is my graphics card too weak?

Thanks

Message 22 of 83 (4,832 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@giantswallowtail wrote:

I am having this problem on my iMac too - since updating to Mojave 10.14.4. I managed to get into settings & uncheck full screen mode & change resolution & now it works but in a window in the middle of my screen that cannot be resized.

I also do not see anywhere to select borderless window.

@giantswallowtail @12345iseeu - Try this:

Start in windowed mode following the instructions I gave here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Cursor-less-accurate-on-macOS-10-14-4/m-p/7751336#M127459

Launch SimCity and go to the Settings menu (upper right three dots) and set resolution to 1920 x 1080. (If you have UHD monitor, you may see higher settings available, but SimCity doesn't play very well with them and will revert it anyway)

Still in the settings menu, make sure "full screen" checkbox is cleared; that will make the "Borderless Window" checkbox available, so that you can check it. Here's a screenshot:

SimCity 5 Rez settings.png

Click "Okay" and launch SimCity. Let us know it this helps with your problem. 

Message 23 of 83 (4,884 Views)

Re: SimCity Mouse not working! (at any time)

Hero (Retired)

@damiianxp - Thank you for including your system specs; it appears the Mojave update may have made some changes that SimCity doesn't like.

Can you try following the steps I posted here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Cursor-less-accurate-on-macOS-10-14-4/m-p/7784938#M127498 and let us know if it helps with your mouse issue?

Message 24 of 83 (4,813 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for your help. I followed the steps. See screenshots. The Borderless Window checkbox did not appear. As long as Fullscreen is unchecked, the cursor alignment is fine, but now the game plays in a window in the middle of the screen. Not terrible, but not what it was. Hard to scroll.

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 11.37.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 11.35.50 AM.png

Message 25 of 83 (4,874 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@giantswallowtail - thanks for the screenshot. Must be a Mac / PC difference, I guess? 

Other options- change the resolution to 1920 x 1080 in the settings and possibly resize the window by dragging the frame. I am not st my computer to test this, but for PC, the key combo is alt-enter to go to full screen windowed mode. I don't know if Mac would use the same, or command-enter?

Another option, if your display supports HD resolution, would be to try forcing it in the command line options. So, after the-w put a space and then -r:1024x768

Would look like this:

-w -r:1024x768

You can change the resolution, just use the format "-r:XXXXxYYY"

That little screen in the middle is not ideal - sure hope we can get a good workaround 

Message 26 of 83 (4,865 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I just reported this issue as a bug.  After updating, the cursor/pointer is about 1-2 cm above the area that is highlighted and actuates when clicked.

I have had the problem of my cursor disappearing before, but restarting Origin solved this issue until it happened again.

This issue however, is from start up and makes the game virtually unplayable.  I won't be playing the game until it's fixed.  Frown

Message 27 of 83 (4,820 Views)

@TheNerdyPengwin @weinertwein @giantswallowtail @12345iseeu 

I've just updated to 14.4 and now also experiencing this issue in both the Origin version of the game and the Aspyr one purchased through the Mac App Store. It's also happening in a remote PC app I use so it is not just an EA issue, Apple must have changed something in the 14.4 update in Mojave with regards to point and click functionality and not all apps are recognising the change.

I'm going to go ahead and re-merge the Display issue Mac thread with this one as it's clear from everyone's responses (thank you!) that these problems are linked.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 28 of 83 (4,809 Views)

Also tagging @Scuba_Stevo72 @Jaziadeath from the merged thread Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply