[Mac] Mojave - Cursor & Display Resolution Problems

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Re: Cursor less accurate on macOS 10.14.4

★★ Novice

Unfortunately the window mode is not working. I did all your steps and the game accepts the w in the Command Line Arguments but it's still starting in fullscreen mode.

Message 10 of 83 (4,031 Views)

★★ Novice
I guess asking Apple is the only way to fix this. Starting in window mode is not working on a mac. Its still starting in fullscreen mode.
Message 11 of 83 (3,770 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @weinertwein - thanks for getting back to us. I just want to be sure you got the right characters in the command line arguments. It should be "-w". So 2 characters, the hyphen (or minus sign) and the w, with no spaces in between. It will look like this:

-w

If that's how it's entered and it's still starting in full screen, go into the options menu and check to be sure there is no checkbox next to the "full screen" setting. This should get it to windowed mode, then we can check if the mouse issue clears up. If it does, then you can keep the windowed mode and run it as full screen. Please let us know either way. Thanks!

Message 12 of 83 (3,753 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thanks both @BlackjackWidow and @Bluebellflora , appreciate your time to try and help solve.

- Nil Multi-screen setup (just a standard mirror laptop to thunderbolt display)

- No, nil 1920x1080 option in SC. Two highest are 1600x900 and 1600x1200

- Today when opening in windows mode with monitor at 2560x1440 and SC at 1600x900 and tick full screen, everyone lines looks great but mouse cursor is not aligned to buttons. Choosing 2048x1152 and SC at 1600x900 and tick full screen is out of whack totally so only good option that way for window view of SC.

- Mouse and Keyboard are working sweet for everything so I am taking that off the potential issue list given they work fine in window view of SC

- Added SC within System Pref > > Accessibility (no change to issue)

MAC Setup:

- MacOS Mojave 10.14.4

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, Mid 2014

- Processor 3GHz Intel Core i7

- Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

- Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

- Trend Micro Anti-Virus

- Tried Repair and Fresh Download without Success

- Nil Mods

- Playing/Purchase via Origin (....hmmm, actually think I purchased in an actual old-school bricks and mortar shop but assume it was linked to Origin since that is cumbersome extra step process I have to go through to play it)

Frustrating thing is worked full screen previously without issue - including on initial update to Mojave a few days ago (hadn't played SC for quite some time and hadn't updated OS as I have older Microsoft Office 2011 which is apparently not 100% on Mojave (side note - Office appears to work just fine). From memory (I am old and it has been over 48 hours), I had to do update to Mojave to get Origin/SC update in order to play the game. 

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers. 

Message 13 of 83 (3,717 Views)

Re: Display issues on macOS 10.14.4

★★★ Newbie
hi, sry how did u fixed the mouse problem? i'm still at that point that i would really like to do something but mouse doesn't click anything... frustrating Frown
Message 14 of 83 (3,689 Views)

★★★ Newbie
my system:
macos mojave 10.14.4
imac27 late 2013
3,5GHz intel core i7
16gb 1600 MHz DDR3
nvidia geforce gtx 775m 2gb

playing and purchase via origin
Message 15 of 83 (3,679 Views)

★★ Novice

Oh okay, I did not saw the minus sign. Okay window mode is working and I can click everything. My choosen resolution is 1920 x 1080 but when I go back to fullscreen mode it's still not working. I just saw that here is another topic with the same issue. Guess that's something the @SimQARobo Team should fix asap. It's an issue with the Mojave Update 10.14.4...

Message 16 of 83 (3,724 Views)

★★★ Newbie
ok, i kinda fixed with an huge amount of patience. You have to seriously look where your pointer is by looking where it highlights when it meets a button or something. Then go in settings, change resolution for a lower one and uncheck (good luck with it) full screen mode.
Please fix this issue soon, is so irritating
Message 17 of 83 (3,673 Views)

@Scuba_Stevo72

Could you boot into safe mode and see if that makes a difference? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 18 of 83 (3,655 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@weinertwein - Just want to confirm; if you run in windowed mode at 1920 x 1080, the mouse cursor works correctly, but if you run in full-screen mode, it does not? 

Try clearing the full-screen checkbox, and then put a check in the setting for "borderless window". This should run SimCity at 1920 x 1080, but in full-screen windowed mode. Should mimic a full-screen, but allow for easier window switching and keep the alternate display settings in the game.

Message 19 of 83 (3,701 Views)