by MagicApoIIo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game Doesn't Launch

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Windows 10
Nvidia 3060Ti
GeForce Game Ready Driver Version 516.94 (Aug 9 2022)
See DxDiag attached for more info

I cannot launch the game through Origin, EPIC Games, Steam, or EA App. When I click the game tile in Origin or EA App, the launcher minimizes, then it comes back a few seconds later and the game hasn't started. I have reinstalled the game and verified files through Origin and EA App. On Steam and Epic Games, when I try to launch, the game does not start. After a few seconds, the Origin launcher pops onto the screen.

Attempted fixes:

• I have restarted my computer multiple times, and after every step.
  • I have done a clean install of my graphics drivers and keep them updated with GeForce Experience. I also reverted my graphics drivers to a time when I was able to launch the game.
  • I reinstalled the game on Origin, verified my files on Origin, and reinstalled on EA App. I also did a clean install of Celebration Edition on Steam.
  • I have deleted all of my Origin files except the LocalContent folder in ProgramData/Origin, then restarted my computer, as instructed in this article: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/
  • I logged in to another EA account which owns Battlefront 2 and tried to launch.
  • I moved my Origin game install folder to a different drive with much more free space
  • I uninstalled Origin "the hard way" in accordance with this support article, then reinstalled it: https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/#hard-way
  • I have tried launching straight from the .exe file as administrator
  • I deleted the entire Documents/STAR WARS Battlefront II folder
  • I have ensured Battlefront is allowed through my firewall. I did not see a place to specifically allow Origin.
  • I have made sure everything pertaining to mods is wiped clean from my PC
  • I have attempted a clean boot as per this support article: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

I have been able to launch Battlefront 2 (2005) on Origin and EA App to confirm that other games work. I am also able to launch any other game on Steam.

Notes:
- Razer Cortez displays ram and optimization in the bottom left after I attempt to launch.
- Task Manager closes, if open, when I try to launch. It reopens itself at the same time as the Origin launcher reappears.

Message 1 of 6 (2,590 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game Doesn't Launch

★★★★★ Apprentice

Solution:

Type
Environment Variables in the Windows Search, open the first thing, click on Environment Variables at the bottom

If you see an entry called GAME_DATA_DIR, delete it, then restart your PC. You should be able to run BF2 normally again.

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (2,466 Views)

All Replies

Hero

I just tried and was able to get in (south eastern US).

Are you still having the issue today?

If a post helps, please click the XP button, so the poster learns what is helping.

If a post answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so others can quickly find what worked.
Message 2 of 6 (2,544 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

That may be because it's me experiencing the issue and not you. Yes, I'm still having the issue today. I've had the issue for a month.

Message 3 of 6 (2,501 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Solution:

Type
Environment Variables in the Windows Search, open the first thing, click on Environment Variables at the bottom

If you see an entry called GAME_DATA_DIR, delete it, then restart your PC. You should be able to run BF2 normally again.

Message 4 of 6 (2,467 Views)

Hero

@MagicApoIIo How did you figure that one out?

If a post helps, please click the XP button, so the poster learns what is helping.

If a post answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so others can quickly find what worked.
Message 5 of 6 (2,446 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@MagicApoIIo I have the same problem on Xbox, every time I want play the game I have to uninstall it and reinstall it before it works
Message 6 of 6 (453 Views)